Hello Ross,

I have a different idea for poky versioning. Since, who ever does classical
poky, one will have at least three layers there from your reference poky
distro:

-----------------------
Build Configuration:  |
-----------------------
DISTRO = poky
DISTRO_VERSION = 2.4
-----------------------
Layer Revisions:      |
-----------------------

Since you decided long time ago to track poky DISTRO_VERSION assignment
with meta-poky... And meta-poky is not one to be always included in the
layering, correct?

Assuming that, you can implant/embed the following 4 lines:
DISTRO = "poky"
DISTRO_NAME = "Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro)"
DISTRO_VERSION = "2.4"
DISTRO_CODENAME = "rocko"

in ./meta/conf/distro/defaultsetup.conf in meta layer. You anyway always
clone meta layer from OpenEmbedded, and do your own SHA256 (which is always
different than OE meta original).

As such, the base (meta layer) will ALWAYS contain the DISTRO_VERSION
variable, which is the correct approach, since you will also tag with
DISTRO_VERSION the meta layer (there are different meta layers per
different distro versions, do you agree?).

And... Everyone needs meta layer (the base one), don't you agree as well?

Do not forget. Open Embedded original meta will stay untouched, ready to be
used for other distros (whatever these distros mean).

*If I think deeper, actually Open Embedded meta layer determines (at the
end of the day) DISTRO_CODENAME, doesn't it?* ;-)

Best Regards,
Zoran
_______