Such setting should be in global conf files like <distro>.conf or local.conf.
Setting root password from a recipe does not have effect.

If you really want to set a root password from recipe, maybe you need to take a look at base-passwd recipe.

'-P' is an option added to support clear text password. The patch only applies to shadow-native.
So it does not affect the shadow on target.

Best Regards,
Chen Qi