On 07/10/2018 02:18 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 3:32:56 AM CEST ChenQi wrote:
I usually use the following steps when I need to modify source for some
purpose.

1. bitbake A (or at least bitbake A -c configure)
*2. cd tmp/work/xxxxx/A/<source dir>**
**3. make the modification*
4. bitbake A -c compile -f
5. bitbake A

If you find the modification useful, make a patch from it.
This is the old way of doing it which can under some circumstances result in
you losing your changes to the source tree, since the sources under tmp/work/
are only ever intended to be there temporarily. Devtool (as recommend by
others on this thread) is designed to enable this workflow in a much safer
manner.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul. I'll turn to use devtool.