You can use the variable OE_TERMINAL to choose your preferred terminal.
By default it's set to auto and Bitbake figures out what terminal is
available on your system. Please refer to the manual at:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#var-OE_TERMINAL.

> Also, is it possible to access bitbake datastore from inside the
devshell(or devpyshell) ?

You cannot access d if you mean that, however, all the variables are
exported to the shell.

:rjs

--
Rudolf J Streif