Hello Zoran, Jupiter and list

The configuration you sent seems to be correct.

As I already said initramfs seems overly complicated in yocto. the most
important thing to note is that 2 kernel images are created, one is
called bzImage (in my case) an the other bzImage-initramfs. However only
the bzImage is written into the rootfs so you have to exchange them
manually. (in /boot/bzImage). I did not find a way of including the
bundled kernel right away.

What you can do is to build core-image-minimal-initramfs and delete the
symbolic link "bzImage", then recreate it and let it point to
bzImage-initramfs. However this is rather a hack than a solution.

An other mistake I made was to use IMAGE_INSTALL_append which is
ignored. Use PACKAGE_INSTALL_append.

Also I found that "break" does not work as a kernel parameter. Use
"shell" oder "debug-shell" instead. If you want to try to boot into
initramfs you can remove all parameters to the booting line so you
either end up in a kernel panic (initramfs doesn't work) or in the
rescue shell (initramfs works).

In the end I actually managed to get a working shell, but I often ended
up in initramfs telling me "dropping to shell..." but then freezing.

I don't have access to my files right now but I can tell you more on my
setup tomorrow. In case the solution is not included above.

Best regards
Moritz