Hi ,
I'm using Poky (Warrior).
Built a Plain Vanilla system for bare-metal x64, and put it on a hard-drive.
The system boots well on an Intel MB.

Then, added a WIC image target, and converted the disk iamge (using qemu-img)
into a VMDK.
The image boots well (Grub prompt, followed by kernel loading) on a Windows
VmWare (though I had to add some kernel features to make the root FS available).

Next, I converted the same image to VHDX using qemu-img.
Configured a HyperV Gen2 machine (to use UEFI). Security is turned off.
Grub2 loads well:
I get a Grub prompt, select the kernel – but once selected - the system hangs.
Tried on different Windows machine (Win10, Server 2016)

When replacing the kernel with a stock Ubuntu kernel – the kernel loads well.
Tried other (pre-built) kernels from
http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-x.y/.... – same odd
behavior: Grub loads, kernel does not load.
Tried a different compression (other than gzip) – same.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Yair