On Oct 31, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Tobias Horvath wrote:

On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:01 AM, Bill Rowe wrote:

There is a fairly detailed review Time Machine and some of the underlying details of how it works and why at <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/BAaf/~3/176498831/mac-os-x-10-5.ars >. From the information presented there it is apparent Time Machine's granularity is at the file level. That is, Time Machine will copy any changed file in its entirety rather than incrementally. Note, it is only changed files that are copied.

Unfortunately this is completely true. I believe Yojimbo has some internal "file-based handling of Yojimbo items" - it's iSync compatible after all - but I believe this to be a completely separate issue and, correct me BB if you may, I don't think moving away form the database file is not such an easy task.

I hope it will happen tho. Luckily my database is less than a MB in size as I don't store PDFs and stuff in there, so I can handle the 24 MB it takes daily.

Also, if you consider the Time Machine backup schedule, this is 30 + 24 Yojimbo changes backuped at most per day.

My database has nearly 800 MB, steadily growing. Several other similar apps like Yojimbo don't work with a database but with single files. I guess it's possible to move away from the database, the first convert would be maybe somehow problematic. I'm not a developer but if I see it right then the functionality of Yojimbo would be kept with single-files (please in normal formats - keep a pdf a pdf and txt a txt and so on) and an extra index-file (shouldn't be that big, should it?) for the internal Yojimbo-search. If I would use Time Machine right now my database would be backed up several times a day and even a 500GB or bigger harddisk (base harddisk is 250GB) would be really fast full and Yojimbo would be the culprit that blocks the whole incremental thing because the database is so big…

Niels