Hi,

I am very happy to present the next development version, available for
daring testers. This is not yet a development release ready for
distrowatch. The purpose of this release is to get first testing one a
broader range of different system setups done.

This snapshot is only available here :
http://88.198.41.209/build/YOS-2.92-007.iso , md5sum is
db7555a1c3c181d8c0c6d5c9dcb3ce8b

The packages available in this release are xorg 7.2 rc3 + cherry
picked changes from the xorg gitweb. Furthermore KDE 3.5.5, Firefox
2.0.0.1 , amarok 1.4.4 and a lot more up-to-date applications are
available.

The Yoper Installer underwent some redesigning and should now handle a
lot more system setups (oreomasta :wink:). Furthermore you actually
can confirm your choices in one final step before applying the changes
to your system. The default bootloader is grub. The grub / xfs issue
got adressed but is not finally solved. There is an hack / workaround
to allow installation of grub. It worked here in 50 % an 5 testing
systems. The installer will automatically fall back to lilo after 3
failed attempts to install grub.  You may still succeed to install
grub manually after installation.

New Setup Procedure : The installer will - in a first step - install a
base system only. After reboot you proceed with the configuration part
and the actual package installation. So keep your CD close to you
after rebooting!

Personally I consider the installer to be far more mature then the
previous version. Also Yoper made a big step forward and we have more
and more packagers sharing the workload. A big thanks goes to
lordtweety aka Kaneri Warren for providing such great support during
the upgrade to xorg 7.2. .

So please anybody feel free to participate in testing this idea. It is
now your turn to provide us with feedback and suggestions to make the
installation procedure and Yoper better.

Your Yoper Team

Please find attached the known issues:

Installer:

- The Yoper Installer will install the bootloader into the MBR of the
same hard disc as where you have your root partition.
- The Yoper Installer does not yet update the packages during the
installation. This means you might find more and more updates
immediately after installation, the older this snapshot gets. It is
planned to allow up-to-date installation of packages.
- English / Spelling Errors etc. , there has been no proper spellcheck yet

Yoper:

Release Blockers:

- The ISO comes without ppp / rp-pppoe support , While the packages in
general are available I can't test this nor do I know how to set it up
in the installer. Therefore we need someone being able to install ppp
/ rp-pppoe and share his experience as well as testing support to get
this working on the installation cd as well.
- The version of Xorg included is not a final release and in fact
there are versions of Xorg 7.3 included. The only side effects are a
few very uncommon drivers not being available in this snapshot.
- Neither koffice nor openoffice are available.
- There is no graphical concept nor a concept for a Yoper Desktop
- The file-associations for the default Yoper applications needs to be
configured and packaged to work 'out of the box'

Other Stuff:

- Xgl not easily enabled , to be looked into
- grub has currently an image I copied and pasted from 2 previous
Yoper contributions in the forum. But it looks very bad with 16
colors. For the future I'd like to go with that :
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7716/yoperscreenoddiidotcomvud4.jpg
So we could use all 14 colours on different reds. Any input welcome. I
leave that decision to the team or anyone willing to take over the
graphical stuff.

regards

--
Tobias Gerschner
Member of Board of Yoper Linux Ltd. NZ

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.