On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 10:43 -0500, Dmitriy Kargapolov wrote:
> What are the essential benefits over subversion?

1) To make YXA less dependent on myself, and my current employer.

2) Let's face it - I'm really lousy at applying peoples patches. I want
to think of it as a kind of quality control, which YXA will benefit from
in the long run, but I think I'm actually impeding development which I
_really_ don't want to do.

Since my employer currently only sponsors maintenance of the open source
project, and not active development (because we won't need any more
features for our setup, in the foreseeable future), I'm struggling as
mad to keep up with Mikael Magnussons patches (because I always make
such a big affair of them, creating test cases and so on). Still I
haven't committed his fix for loop detection that he sent in March! I'm
sure it is correct, I just want to prove it too, and prevent future
regression.

Think then what would happen if someone started really contributing
aggressively.

The impression I have is that GIT in general, and github in particular,
is helpful to improve such a situation.

Do you see any downsides?