Note: Beware! Default reply-to is to the list.

Hello, Edoardo,

see below

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:50:45 +0200
Edoardo Sabadelli <> wrote:

> Note: Beware! Default reply-to is to the list.
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Anne Wainwright
> <> wrote:
> > Note: Beware! Default reply-to is to the list.
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > Second take.
> >
> > Actually vim is better behaved than I described, its perl
> > highlighting puts all the pod elements and comments in one common
> > colour, which behaviour stays the same irrespective of the location
> > of the __END__ token, it is in gvim that the elements (like head1)
> > are in a distinctive colour that evaporates if the __END__ token
> > precedes them.
> >
> > So I think that gedit just has its little ways. The loss of
> > highlighting made me think I had something wrong, that was really
> > the issue that threw me.
> >
> > Anne
> Hi Anne, I use Vim for all my coding and I noticed some highlighting
> problems only sometimes when scrolling, but always when in the code
> there are some particular conditions, such as escaped quotes in
> strings or interpolated strings that span on several lines.
> Usually when scrolling further those issues disappear.
> Besides that, I took the habit of using F8 for saving when I work on
> Perl files. I use this simple mapping in Vim (~/.vimrc file):
> map <F8> :w<CR>:! perl -c %<CR>
well, this evening I had been trying the perl -c switch on some
files for the first time, very good, so some synchronicity there! Since
I seem to spend serious time trying to catch syntax errors (aka spelling
mistakes) that will make for some time saving for me.

I deleted a ';' in a regularly used file, and ran perl with the -c
switch and I see it pops up syntax help, the same as when you run the
file with an error. Could be useful, hey! I'll experiment with your
mapping as given above.

> which as you might notice, saves the file (:w), then runs the perl
> syntax checker (:! perl -c %).
> The `<CR>' is the same as pressing Enter.
> `:!' gives you access to the shell in which Vim is running, and `%'
> represents the current file.
> So, whenever I press F8, the file is saved and the Perl syntax is
> checked automatically, showing me any syntax error I might have in my
> file.
> Try it, is very useful :)
Za-pm mailing list

posts also archived on Mail Archive