http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/21/AR2008072102357.html?wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

The Saudi Guide To Piety
By Anne Applebaum
Tuesday, July 22, 2008; Page A21

Because they are so clearly designed for the convenience of large testing
companies, I had always assumed that multiple-choice exams, the bane of any
fourth-grader's existence, were a quintessentially American phenomenon. But
apparently I was wrong. According to a report last week by the Hudson
Institute's Center for Religious Freedom, it seems that the Saudi Arabian
Ministry of Education finds them useful, too. Here, for example, is a
multiple-choice question from a recent edition of a Saudi fourth-grade
textbook, "Monotheism and Jurisprudence," in a section that attempts to teach
children to distinguish between "true" and "false" belief in God:

Q. "Is belief true in the following instances:

(a) A man prays but hates those who are virtuous.

(b) A man professes that there is no deity other than God but loves the
unbelievers.

(c) A man worships God alone, loves the believers, and hates the unbelievers."

The correct answer, of course, is (c): According to the Wahhabi imams who wrote
this textbook, it isn't enough to simply worship God or just to love other
believers; it is important to hate unbelievers, too. By the same token, (b) is
wrong as well: Even a man who worships God cannot be said to have "true belief"
if he also loves unbelievers.

"Unbelievers," in this context, are Christians and Jews. In fact, any child who
attends Saudi schools until ninth grade will eventually be taught outright that
"Jews and Christians are enemies of believers." They will also be taught that
Jews conspire to "gain sole control over the world," that the Christian
crusades never ended, and that on Judgment Day "the rocks or the trees" will
call out to Muslims to kill Jews.

These passages, it should be noted, are from new, "revised" Saudi textbooks,
designed to be less harsh on the infidels. After an analysis of earlier
textbooks caused an outcry in 2006, American diplomats approached their Saudi
counterparts about modifying the more disturbing passages, and the Saudis
agreed to conduct a "comprehensive revision . . . to weed out disparaging
remarks toward religious groups."

The promised revision -- hailed at the time as a great diplomatic success --
was supposed to be finished by the beginning of the 2008-09 school year and was
accompanied by a Saudi public relations campaign. Among other things, the
Saudis sponsored an interfaith dialogue this week, one that all participants
hailed as a great breakthrough -- despite the fact that the meetings took place
in Spain, apparently because it would be too embarrassing for Saudi Arabia to
host Christian and Jewish religious leaders on its own soil. But now the
beginning of the 2008-09 school year is nearly upon us, the only textbook
revisions have been superficial and the most disturbing part of the books'
message -- that faithful Muslims should hate Jews and Christians -- remains.

Normally, the contents of another country's textbooks would be of no interest,
and, indeed, I'm sure that there are plenty of American textbooks that contain
insane, incorrect or otherwise unacceptable information. Saudi schoolbooks,
however, are a special case. They are written and produced by the Saudi
government and are distributed, free, to Saudi-sponsored Muslim schools as far
afield as Lagos and Buenos Aires. This doesn't mean every child who reads them
will hate non-Muslims, but Americans are not the only ones who worry about the
influence of these books: In Britain, a small political storm broke out last
year when Saudi books calling on Muslims to kill all apostates were found in
mosques there.

Still, even if U.S. diplomacy is a legitimate response to this peculiarly
insidious form of propaganda, it clearly isn't a sufficient response. Far more
significant, and surely more effective, would be a unified response from the
rest of the world's Muslims, the vast majority of whom do not share Saudi views
and occasionally say so. It would be useful, for us but especially for them, if
they would say so more often and more loudly.

The United States, of course, is not a Muslim nation, and Americans cannot by
themselves orchestrate a meaningful Muslim response to Saudi extremism. But we
do have a large Muslim population, we do have friends in the moderate Muslim
world and we do have some money -- mostly wasted -- to spend on public
diplomacy. We also have two presidential candidates who are arguing hard about
the best way to combat terrorism, the best way to deploy guns and aid, the best
uses of American military power.

Here is a novel idea for both of them: Make sure that children in Iraq,
Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and in Islamic schools all around the world have
decent fourth-grade textbooks. Help persuade the Muslim world to write and
distribute them. It might save a lot of trouble a few years later on.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kirim email ke