http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/19-09-2008/106410-proletariat-0

19.09.2008

Definitions: The Proletariat (Part II)

      Definitions: The Proletariat

      Continued. Read Part I of the article here

      It's true that every event that happens leaves traces. It is something
like mirrors and their reflections. Except that in the mirror's reflections,
the left is right, and the right is left. Illusions all! Illusions are like
words unspoken that are no longer words at all. Sometimes we have to banish all
possibilities of illusion. Sometimes we have to stop, close our eyes, and allow
ourselves to see real reality, not illusion where right is left, and left
right. Reality free of brainwash. Free of all those words and euphemisms we
hear on TV and read in the establishment press. We can trust none of it.

      One problem facing the wage earner-proletariat is the lack of a suitable
program. I can't see an acceptable program for changing the world. The "Another
World Is Possible" movement is at best a loose agreement around the planet that
change would be a good thing. One answer to those who wonder what the new
resistance wants is simple: they want a just society.

      Sometimes it is comforting-but not much more than that-to recall that
though protest movements of the past have been broken and scattered by Power,
many of those people and like-minded others are still out there in society.
They could rejoin the growing number of mature people with eyes to see and ears
to hear.

      But what are they to do? one wonders.

      That has always been the question.

      Studies show that the class of Power in the USA is surprisingly small,
numbering in the tens of thousands. The potential opposition on the other hand
is enormous, including all those Che Guevara had in mind when he quipped, "If
you tremble in indignation at injustice then you are my comrade." El Che had in
mind the proletariat of the world.

      Though much of the ruling class is stashed away in corner offices on top
floors behind batteries of secretaries, apparently in hiding, out of its vanity
it still wants to be seen. For what is Power if no one knows YOU hold it?
Members of the Power class are visible on stage each day, in TV, in Congress,
in the military hierarchy, in diplomacy, multinationals, religions and the
universities. The higher they ascend the ladder of Power, the more entrenched
in the Power system they become. However, those at the very summit are in
hiding, the rulers who really rule. The most dangerous are those who meet in
secret societies like the Bilderbergers. We can suspect who they are.

      Since it seems that the people sitting in the top tiers of our
political-social theater have abdicated from the struggle, we tend to
underestimate their power. For they too have a stake in the land. One forgets
the potential force of those textile strikes of the 1930s. One forgets that
organized workers can bring a small city like Asheville in North Carolina or a
metropolis like New York or a company like General Motors to a standstill in a
matter of hours. The reason that seldom happens is because the people have
forgotten their own strength.

      People don't think about their strength because of Power's astute use of
myth and illusion: the myth of freedom and the illusion of happiness made of
comfort and ease. And today, above all, more and more out of fear!

      Though most people seem to prefer ignorance, some people are learning to
distinguish between myth and reality. For many issues are glaringly real and
evident: the Iraq War, globalization, US imperialism, legalized torture and
genocide, the new American police state, and the degradation of social life in
the West in general.

      Solidarity too is growing. Resistance spreads. The superiority of "the
American way of life" has revealed itself to be a great lie. The result of
extended and prolonged resistance is inevitably state violence against dissent.
State violence in turn has a multiplier effect: when Power steps in to taser
dissenters, it intensifies resistance. An explosion becomes inevitable. First
collective action, then civil disobedience, then state violence, then the
explosion. For police-state laws change our thinking about legitimacy. This
time around the explosion can become something much different than Power
imagines. An organized people can shut down the nation without firing a shot.

      The people! Today the American people are broken, fragmented and
bewildered, devoid of unity of purpose, as existed briefly, let's say, during
the Vietnam War. According to recent studies the vast majority of American
people are still unaffected by America's ongoing permanent war. The discussion
about whether 70,000 or over one million Iraqis have been massacred has a
certain theoretical-academic air about it. Not even the mothers of the American
dead in Iraq can get organized.

      At the same time more and more people have lost faith in the electoral
system. Some of them have taken on the job of breaking down the natural
passivity of the dissatisfied and fragmented people who, though in potential
agreement with revolutionary analyses, are unused to resistance because of the
illusionist spin conducted by Power. Therefore the suggested antidote of not
voting for any of them.

      Then there are the wars to be ended. If the people can't share the
government's war effort, it can share in anti-war objectives. There is vast and
growing poverty and social injustice to be resolved. There is a dramatic need
for universal health care. There is a corrupt and mean political class to be
removed. All of it. Both parties. There is every need to give power back to the
people.

      Grassroots organizer Abigail Singer, co-founder of Rising Tide North
America and of a recent Southeast Climate Convergence conference in Asheville,
North Carolina, said in an interview that voting is not enough because the
electoral process has been sold to the highest bidder and that people who get
into positions of power have to sacrifice whatever principles they started out
with to the point that systemic change is impossible. Real change can come only
from the grassroots.

      At the same time a growing number of people are losing faith in
nonviolence. Singer points out that capitalism itself is extremely violent. "If
you're not nice and polite, some people consider that violence. But most
violence is in business as usual and capitalism grinding on, killing workers,
forests and oceans. We're surrounded by normalized violence and don't recognize
it for what it is. Confronting this normalized violence in a direct way is not
violent; it's necessary."

      While liberals and progressives argue that you have to work within the
system, the modern activist is mutating because the political climate has
changed. The violence of government repression creates violent reaction in the
same way war against Iraq creates new shahids. Violent resistance is nothing
new: Black Power backed up the Civil Rights movement. Historically the US
government didn't grant more workers rights because it became good but because
people rose up and demanded their rights. People organizing to defend
themselves reaches back through the history of man. Today in America some few
people are coming together and developing new ideas of resistance. Their number
is destined to grow to the degree that government repression grows.

      After my youth in America I have lived my adult abroad. Traveling to the
USA today is to go abroad. Therefore I have acquired a double sensibility about
my homeland. When I arrive there, abroad, but also at home, I feel double
tensions in the air: the tension connected with the widespread fear of losing
"the American way of life" and the tension of a minority of dissatisfied people
also fearful because it knows it is living an illusion, and that mutiny-still
so nebulous as to appear a chimera-will be necessary to change things. In
America I sense both a fear of action and a fear of non-action. Perhaps also a
fear of change, fear that things can only get worse. The fear, as one friend
wrote me today, that something very bad is about to happen to America. A fear
like that of a people inhabiting the wrong house, or the haunting fear that the
real house it once inhabited is today occupied by usurpers and has lost its
soul.

      One senses also a disturbing atmosphere of sick pragmatism and a
depoliticalization coupled with widespread contentment with just analyzing the
current situation rather than challenging it.

      It is a good sign that across the land some grassroots activists are
working to break down indifference. Radical change presupposes an end to blind
acceptance of Power's fictionalized version of reality. Activists no longer
need feel alone. Each person arrested in anti-war demonstrations acquires new
faith in resistance and each of them creates new converts.

      Acceptance of the legitimacy of Power, indifference to Power's deviations
and passivity in the face of Power's threats against external enemies seem to
have peaked. More and more people believe that Power gone mad has to be put
aside. The eventual end of acceptance and passivity could result in a kind of
explosion the world has never seen.

      Today however that clash is still more hope than reality. Hope that a new
strategy of liberation from the oppression of illegal American Fascism will
mushroom. In other times, in an older language, that strategy would be called
revolutionary theory. The old Leninist concept is apt here: there can be no
revolutionary movement without a revolutionary theory. The theory here, the
strategy, must explain that it is not just George W. Bush, the system's current
representative, or his replacement, who must go, but the system itself run by
that tiny minority at the top.

      But people don't rebel easily. People prefer reforms. People do
everything possible to avoid social convulsion and upheaval, even compromising
with a Fascist police state, precisely as happened in Nazi Germany and Fascist
Italy.

      On the other hand, today's US government is aware that the spirit of
mutiny/revolution is brewing. That is why it has armed itself with a set of
illegal and anti-constitutional laws to crush it. At this juncture the
alternative to ousting today's corrupt American system is a permanent police
state, which if it becomes any more fixed than it is now just might last a
thousand years.

      The American people will have to decide what to do and how to act.
Meanwhile many non-Americans agree that the most extreme problem of this
century for mankind is the confused, powerful and violent United States of
America.

      Finally, as an epilogue, see what Henry David Thoreau (1817-78), great
American author and philosopher, wrote in his "On the Duty of Civil Obedience":

      "All men recognize the right of revolution; that is, the right to refuse
allegiance to, and to resist, the government, when its tyranny or its
inefficiency are great and unendurable. Those who, while they disapprove of the
character and measures of a government, yield to it their allegiance and
support, are undoubtedly its most conscientious supporters, and so frequently
the most serious obstacles to reform.

      "If the injustice is part of the necessary friction of the machine of
government, let it go, let it go.. if it is of such a nature that it requires
you to be the agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let
your life be a counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to
see, at any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn.

      "But what shall I do? You ask. My answer is, If you really wish to do
anything, resign your office. When the subject has refused allegiance, and the
officer has resigned from office, then the revolution is accomplished."

      Gaither Stewart,
      Senior Contributing Editor for Cyrano's Journal/tantmieux, is a novelist
and journalist based in Italy. His stories, essays and dispatches are read
widely throughout the Internet on many leading venues. His recent novel,
Asheville, is published by Wastelandrunes, (www.wastelandrunes.com) .

<<che_guevara.jpg>>

Kirim email ke