http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/10/28/mideast/letter.php

Bloggers bucking the Brotherhood in Egypt
By Daniel Williams
Bloomberg News
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
CAIRO: Abdel Moneim Mahmoud once organized student elections, collected
donations and educated chicken breeders about the dangers of bird flu as an
operative for the Muslim Brotherhood. That all ended after he criticized
Egypt's controversial Islamic political group on his blog, Ana-Ikhwan (I Am
Brotherhood).

Mahmoud, 28, condemned its opposition to women and Christians holding high
office in Egypt, including the presidency. He also questioned its slogan,
"Islam is the answer" - a rallying cry of associated groups and imitators
across the Islamic world - for implying that religious scripture should be the
primary criterion for political action.

Brotherhood officials told Mahmoud to stop blogging or drop out of the
organization. While he suspended active participation, he still considers
himself a member. He is also unrepentant.

"The youth of the Muslim Brotherhood used to listen and obey," he says. "Some
leaders don't like it, but we don't keep quiet."

Mahmoud is part of a new generation of Islamic-oriented bloggers in the Middle
East whose willingness to air internal matters online has created as much of a
stir as their opinions, says Diaa Rashwan, an analyst here at Al-Ahram Center
for Political and Strategic Studies.

"What's new is this launching pad used by young people: the blog," he says.
"They are loyal to the Brotherhood, but believe in open debate."

Until recently, political blogging in Egypt was largely the domain of secular
democracy activists who reported on strikes and torture and promoted protests
against the 26-year rule of President Hosni Mubarak. Brotherhood bloggers took
their cue from those campaigners, says Mahmoud, a reporter for the independent,
non-Islamic newspaper Al Dustour.

Two years ago, some Brothers, mainly in their 20s, began detailing the arrests
and torture by the police of their own members. Some also turned to criticizing
the Brotherhood itself. They released details of a draft political platform now
being discussed internally that includes the ban on women and Christians
leading a Muslim-majority country.

"We don't think these activities are harmful," says Magdi Saad, 30, marketing
manager for a real-estate company who runs the blog Yalla Mesh Mohem (It
Doesn't Matter). "We think we put a human face on the Brotherhood. The leaders
were shocked."

Discipline has long been the watchword for the 80-year-old group. Public airing
of internal debates was considered off limits, and membership lists and
training information are veiled from public view, partly because Brothers have
been perpetually subject to imprisonment.

During part of its history, members preached violent struggle against the
government. In 1974, under the influence of what was then its younger
generation, it disowned bloodshed, except in the case of armed action against
the U.S.-led occupation in Iraq and by Palestinian groups including Hamas
against Israel.

The Brotherhood is a model for Hamas and other Islamic political organizations
such as the Islamic Action Front in Jordan. Unlike Hamas, it is not on the list
of terrorist organizations compiled by the U.S. State Department.

Although Egypt's government legally bars the Brotherhood from politics, it is
the country's largest opposition force. The group, which estimates its
membership at more than one million, won 88 of 454 parliamentary seats in
Egypt's 2005 elections by running candidates as independents.

Mahmoud and Saad have been jailed on occasion for their involvement in the
Brotherhood, but they seem unafraid that their public exposure on the Web puts
them in further danger. During interviews in public places, they spoke without
looking over their shoulders. Such conversations were considered risky, even in
private, a few years ago.

"The government knows who we are anyway," Mahmoud says.

Mustafa al-Naggar, 29, a dentist, says: "The government is happy to
characterize us as a secretive organization; we don't want to play that game."
In his Waves in a Sea of Change blog, he wrote, "It is not shameful to revise
our ideas or change our positions." He also has suggested that members as young
as 30 be considered in selecting Brotherhood leaders, instead of 40, which is
now the case.

The Brotherhood acknowledges that blogging has created a division of opinion in
the organization. Abdel Moneim Aly el-Barbary, a physician and high official,
monitors the bloggers and estimates their number at about 150. He says he
belongs to the faction that supports them; still, he wants them to avoid
attacking personalities, be polite and keep their critiques positive.

It is better for members to air disagreements than let them fester in private,
says Barbary, 55, who adds that restrictions should apply only to sensitive
organizational issues such as finances. He also says blogging permits
Brotherhood officials to see what the rank-and-file is thinking, since the
leaders are frequently jailed and meetings of more than five people generally
require permission under Egyptian law. "We have to adapt to modern times," he
says.

Ali Abdul-Fattah, 50, another Brotherhood official, says it is common knowledge
that members disagree on lots of subjects. Still, he opposes the trend.

"The bloggers have to be guided," he says. "The Brotherhood is immune from a
split, but we don't want them to portray disunity."

Notwithstanding the youthful critiques, he says the Brotherhood's guidance
committee, effectively its central board of elders, is firmly in charge. Asked
whether the measure that prohibits women and Christians from the Egyptian
presidency might be deleted from the final political platform, Abdul-Fattah
says no.

"That won't change," he says. "Some things are fundamental."

<<mobile_logo.gif>>

Kirim email ke