Bombs found on eve of Bali executions
November 01, 2008

JAKARTA: Bombs suspected to have been set up for a retaliation attack over the
execution of the Bali bombers were uncovered in a restive Indonesian region,
police said last night.

Two bombs were found on Wednesday and Thursday in Poso, which lies in Central
Sulawesi, in areas popular with migrants from Bali, local police chief Suparni
Parto said.

"I think there is a connection between this and the execution of Amrozi and
others," Mr Parto said.

Officials have said convicted terrorists Imam Samudra, 38, Amrozi, 47, and Ali
Ghufron, 48, will be executed by firing squad any time from midnight last night
until mid-November.

They were sentenced to death for the 2002 attacks on the resort island of Bali
which killed 202 people, including 88 Australians.

Mr Parto refused to specify which group was suspected to be behind the bombs
but said there had been protests by Islamist extremists in the region
threatening retaliation.

Indonesia stepped up security around foreign embassies and public places
yesterday, fearing reprisal attacks.

Police spokesman Abubakar Nataprawira said extra police had been stationed
around embassies, especially the US and Australian missions, as well as
sensitive locations across the main island of Java.

"We are increasing security at embassies and public places such as malls," Mr
Abubakar said.

Secrecy last night surrounded the planned executions of the three bombers.
Their lawyers do not expect to know anything until after the men are dead.

Bali prosecutors who will oversee the executions have arrived on Nusakambangan

Defence lawyer Wirawan Adnan said his legal team had not had any contact with
the three since last week, when they visited the prison with Ali Ghufron's

"I don't think the Attorney-General's office will give us the luxury of that
information because we believe it will be done secretly," he said. "They know
that our attitude will be that the public has the right to know, and any
information given to us will be publicised."

Mr Wirawan said it was possible that the terrorists had already been given a
mandatory 72-hour notice advising that their executions would be carried out.

The mother of two of the bombers, Amrozi and Ali Ghufron, said last night her
sons were right to "kill infidels".

Seventy-year-old Tariem said in her house in the village of Tenggulun, in East
Java: "I feel that killing infidels isn't a mistake because they don't pray. My
sons are right. I wake up at 2am every morning to pray for their safety."

The old woman coughed and asked for medicine as she spoke, and appeared
confused about her sons' fate, asking: "Will my sons be executed?" Another son,
Ali Imron, is serving a life sentence for his role in the plot.

Younger brother Ali Fauzi, 38, said the family had made no plans for funerals
and had not been informed about the executions. He added he was sure his
brothers were on the "right path" in their final days.

Kirim email ke