http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/appeal-for-bali-bombers/2008/11/03/1225560691158.html

Bombers' last-ditch appeal
November 3, 2008 - 9:51AM

The three Bali bombers are frustrated at delays to their executions, a family
member says, even as new court action looms to prevent the sentence being
carried out.

Imam Samudra and brothers Amrozi and Mukhlas will go before the firing squad
imminently over their lead roles in the 2002 nightclub bombings.

According to a relative, Mukhlas has requested the execution be carried out
without further delay.

Yet, even as authorities finalise arrangements and tighten security for the
executions, lawyers are preparing to lodge another last-ditch court appeal for
the bombing trio who killed 202 people, including 88 Australians.

Mukhlas' brother-in-law Nasir Abas told the Indonesian newspaper Radar Banyumas
that the bomber was annoyed by the wait to die.

"For me this decision is in accordance with what he (Mukhlas) wishes, which is
to die as a martyr," Abas said.

"He has asked for it to be done immediately.

"The delays of the executions is not Mukhlas' wish, but it is the wish of his
lawyer, who according to me, is running a secular legal process which is hated
by Mukhlas himself."

An appeal seeking to prevent the executions was to be lodged today, but on what
grounds is unclear.

Last night, speculation intensified that the executions would happen soon after
two helicopters which will transport the bombers bodies to their home villages
for burial arrived on the prison island of Nusakambangan, near Cilacap, off the
southern coast of Central Java.

About 100 members of the radical Islamic Defenders Front gathered to pray for
the bombers at a mosque in Cilacap, and called on Indonesians around the
country to do the same as the men faced their final hours.

However, all was quiet overnight at the jail.

The three Islamic militants are now expected to receive visits from relatives
and lawyers this morning.

Haji Agus Bambang Priyanto, a Muslim Balinese police officer who helped
coordinate rescue efforts after the bombing and worked with local communities
to prevent Muslim-Hindu tensions from flaring up in Bali, said he was losing
patience.

"The Bali bombing victims have been waiting for a long time for justice and
victims families and Balinese people are fed up," he told AAP.

"Our chest is getting heavier after seeing Amrozi and his friends boasting on
television.

"We have almost lost trust whether they will be executed or not."

Heru Djatmiko, who was injured and lost his mother and nephew in the 2005 Bali
bombings, also blamed on the Jemaah Islamiyah group behind the 2002 attack,
said the government seemed scared of the political ramifications of carrying
out the executions.

"The executions have been delayed a few times and a lot of people are sick and
tired of waiting," he said.

"My disappointment is that the government has not been doing anything to send
the message that killing people for the sake of religion is not right.

"The government does not have the guts. I guess they are worried that it could
create more political turmoil."

For many, concerns that the bombers' supporters would seek to avenge their
deaths underscored the need for the government to execute the men. "The longer
we wait, the more time their supporters have to get ready," said Dewi
Widiartha, who works at a hotel in Legian, Bali.

Experts have said a terrorist attack to avenge the bombers' executions was
unlikely, but warned lower-level unrest could break out when their bodies are
returned to their villages

Kirim email ke