Calon PhD Freddy Yip di Sydney menemukan bgmn insulin memicu lemak dan
cell otot mnyerap glucose. Penemuan baru ini diharapkan dpt membantu
pengobatan diabetes-2.

This is a far cry from drinking camel's urine to cure all diseases!

Gabriela Rantau

Clue to diabetes mystery uncovered November 5, 2008, 12:01 pm
Australian scientists have uncovered a key clue in the mystery of how
insulin works, bringing them closer to a cure for diabetes.

A Sydney PhD student Freddy Yip has solved a problem plaguing
researchers worldwide for more than half a century - how insulin prompts
fat and muscle cells to absorb glucose.

This process is defective in the growing number of people with type 2
diabetes so understanding it opens the way for new therapies to correct
it.

"While we're certainly not saying we've found a way to cure diabetes, we
are saying we've found a pretty significant clue," said Professor David
James, head of the diabetes program at the Garvan Institute for Medical
Research.

"Since the 1920s, when Banting and Best discovered insulin, scientists
have been battling to discover how it actually works," he said.

"Then along comes Freddy Yip, doing his PhD, who unveils a completely
novel action of insulin, one which we believe plays a fundamental role
in glucose uptake."

The findings, published in the journal Cell Metabolism, focus on two
intersecting problematic processes affecting diabetics, insufficient
production of insulin in the pancreas after a meal and so-called insulin
resistance, and the faulty uptake and storage of glucose in fat and
muscle cells.

"In the cell we have series of motor proteins that have the ability to
move other molecules from one place to another along intracellular
railroad tracks," Mr Yip said.

"I have discovered that insulin activates a specific kind of motor
protein known as Myo1c, which in turn performs a critical role in
glucose uptake."

The motor protein helps move glucose transporter proteins from inside
the cell to the surface membrane so that they can pump glucose into the
cell.

The findings offer up a new target for diabetes treatment.

"We think there may be blockages in the signal between insulin and myo1c
in people who develop insulin resistance," he said.

"If we're correct, it should be possible to target that pathway for
development of new therapies."

Statistics show about 700,000 Australians suffered diabetes in 2005, a
figure which has doubled since 1981.

Kirim email ke