Oom Jusfiq, numpang tanya dan mohon petromaksnya. Apa agama yang
dipeluk oleh para bajak laut
asal Somalia itu? Apakah mereka Islam?

Kalau mereka beragama Islam, kenapa mereka jadi bajak laut?

Apakah mereka mengikuti ajaran yang keliru sehingga menghalalkan
segala cara untuk cari duit?

salam,

radityo

--- In zamanku@yahoogroups.com, Jusfiq Hadjar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ransoms bring wealth to Somali pirate bases
> Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:50am EST
>
> By Abdiqani Hassan
>
> BOSASSO, Somalia (Reuters) - As dawn breaks over the Indian Ocean
each morning, elders in Somali pirate bases sip strong coffee and
clutch mobile phones to their ears, eager to hear the latest from the
gunmen out at sea.

> Have any more ships been hijacked or ransom talks concluded? Any
news of the Western warships hunting them?

> Last weekend's spectacular capture of a Saudi Arabian supertanker
loaded with oil worth $100 million has jacked up the stakes in what is
probably the only growth industry in the failed Horn of Africa state.

> Massive ransoms have brought rapid development to former fishing
villages that now thrive with business and boast new beachside hotels,
patronized by cash-rich buccaneers who have become local celebrities
virtually overnight.

> Investors have been attracted from around Somalia.
>
> "There are some 'pirates' who never shoulder a gun or go out into
the ocean, but they own boats which earn them a hell of a lot of
money," gang member Bashir Abdulle told Reuters by phone from Eyl, the
most notorious of the pirates' strongholds.

> Just three years ago, maritime security experts estimated there were
just five Somali pirate groups and fewer than 100 gunmen in total. Now
they think there are more than 1,200.

> Some analysts trace the gangs' roots to ties forged with criminal
networks across the Gulf of Aden in Yemen during years of
people-smuggling operations.

> Others say the buccaneers began life as a rag-tag "coast guard"
formed by elders enraged by European fishing fleets illegally trawling
Somali territorial waters for tuna, and even more clandestine craft
dumping deadly toxic waste on its shore.

> LINKS TO REBELS?
>
> But the biggest lure now, of course, is the vast ransoms being paid
for captured ships. Kenya says it thinks the pirates have received
more than $150 million this year alone.

> Many young men who used to work as bodyguards and militia fighters
for Somalia's many warlords and feuding politicians have quit with
their guns to chase the rewards available out on the waves.

> And most worrying for the international community, some analysts see
links between the pirates and Islamist militants who control Somalia's
south and are advancing slowly on Mogadishu.

> In some areas, residents say the pirates are the only ones allowed
to defy night time curfews imposed by the Islamists.

> For their part, militant leaders deny any connections and have vowed
to attack the gang holding the Saudi supertanker in retaliation for
their hijacking a "Muslim" ship.

> Russia has proposed raiding the pirates' land bases such as Eyl, but
the NATO alliance has said African nations must take the lead. Few in
the gunmen's strongholds showed any fear.

> "I know piracy isn't good, but if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be
able to make a living," shrugs Kadija Duale, a mother of four in Eyl.
She sells the gunmen $3 cups of tea on credit, then collects when they
receive their share of ransoms.

> A kilo of khat, a popular mild narcotic plant, now costs $65 in Eyl,
compared with $20 elsewhere, thanks to pirate demand.

> Eyl is in the semi-autonomous northern province of Puntland -- whose
main port is Bosasso -- though the Saudi ship is being held further
south in Haradheere port, another center of piracy.

> As the profits from the crime wave draw in businessmen from around
the country, residents in the pirate's coastal bases -- and some
inland towns -- have seen development in recent months that is
unprecedented in their anarchic nation.

> Abdiqadir Yusuf Ow Muse, the Eyl chairman, said his village had
existed since 1927, but had long been only a tiny fishing community.
This year, he told Reuters, all that had changed.

> "Now it's a district with almost all facilities you would expect,
because of the convergence of rich pirates," he said.

> © Thomson Reuters 2008. All rights reserved. Users may download and
print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and
non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Thomson
Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters.
Thomson Reuters and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks
of the Thomson Reuters group of companies around the world.
> Thomson Reuters journalists are subject to an Editorial Handbook
which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.

> Jusfiq Hadjar gelar Sutan Maradjo Lelo
>

> Allah yang disembah orang Islam tipikal dan yang digambarkan oleh
al-Mushaf itu dungu, buas, kejam, keji, ganas, zalim lagi biadab
hanyalah Allah fiktif.

Kirim email ke