> "Sunny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Refleksi:  Tidak mengherankan bila DPR
> melarang buku "The Legacy of Ashes",
> karena sesuai dengan fungsinya sebagai
> Dewn Penipu Rakyat (DPR), maka tentunya
> mereka tidak mau supaya rakyat mengetahui
> rahasia umum.

Kalo tidak suka akan kenyataan Adam Malik itu agen CIA, seharusnya
dulu2nya sewaktu Adam Malik masih hidup, dia diminta keluar dari CIA
untuk ditangkap dan dipenjara sehingga tak perlu memalukan bangsa ini.

Tetapi setelah dia mati dan diangkat sebagai pahlawan bahkan dikubur
di taman makam pahlawan, maka bukan buku yang mengungkapkan kenyataan
ini yang harusnya dilarang, melainkan seharusnya kuburan Adam Malik
itu seharusnya dibongkar dan dipindahkan ke kuburan umum para kriminal
yang ditembak mati oleh polisi.

Memang, bangsa ini selalu berjalan salah, selalu salah mengambil
keputusan, selalu salah menganalisa permasalahan, dan selalu terbalik
dalam menindak kesalahan justru malah melestarikan dan mengulangi
kesalahan2 tsb.

Mereka tidak tahu apa yang harus diperbuatnya, tapi mereka tetap
melakukan perbuatan2 yang mereka sendiri tidak tahu alasan2nya untuk
perbuatan mereka.  Begitulah sikap pemimpin di Indonesia.

Ny. Muslim binti Muskitawati.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/11/24/house-wants-cia-book-banned.html

> House wants CIA book banned
> The Jakarta Post   |  Mon, 11/24/2008 4:47 PM  |  National
>
> House Speaker Agung Laksono on Monday said he had requested the
Attorney General's Office (AGO) ban a recently published translation
of a book on CIA history, which claims an important Indonesian figure
was a CIA agent.

> "We have entrusted the matter to the AGO," he said as quoted by
tempointeraktif.com.

> The book, titled Legacy of ashes, the history of the CIA and written
by New York Times journalist Tim Weiner, discusses CIA history in
relation to international political events including
> the bloody political situation in Indonesia of 1965.
>
> Weiner quoted former CIA top agent Clyde McAvoy saying "Adam Malik
was a CIA agent in 1964".

> Malik was Indonesia's top diplomat and served as the country's vice
president from 1978 to 1983.

> Separately on Monday, AGO spokesman Jasman Panjaitan said his office
was still analyzing the book and had yet to decide whether to ban it.

> "Our Social-Political Affairs Directorate is studying the book. We
are looking into the substance of the book, and have yet to summon its
writer," he said.

> Jasman, however, said Malik's family could file a complaint over the
book if they felt slandered. (anb/ewd)

> Comments (8)  |   Post comment
> A  |   A  |   A  |     |   |    |    |    |
> Rabin Dranir (not verified) - Fri, 11/28/2008 - 5:28pm
>
> Excuse me, but isn't it a cool thing if you join CIA? what's with
all the fuss?

> Lynda (not verified) - Thu, 11/27/2008 - 1:36pm
>
> Umm, great, just like when Soeharto banned Adam Schwartz "The Nation
in Waiting" back in '80s-'90s. I remember feverishly finally securing
a copy during my time overseas, and after reading it I went "Meh?" out
of confusion of what the fuss had been all about. That book is now
widely sold in Indonesia and no revolution has been inspired by it.

> Adam Malik's family reserves the rights to sue for defamation. But
banning the public to read and subjectively think for themselves is
equal to dumbing the nation -- 'pembodohan bangsa'.

> Adamsen (not verified) - Wed, 11/26/2008 - 1:43am
>
> I agree with all comments prior to mine.
>
> Everybody knows that the Coup led by Suharto had CIA links. I am
surprised that Suharto himself was not mentioned in the book?

> I think the GOI still has the paranoia?
>
> Sledet (not verified) - Tue, 11/25/2008 - 9:51am
>
> A democratic system does not ban on books. What message will we send
to the world and to our own people? Malik's family can sue Weiner, for
that matter, and the government should not ban his book or any books
based on fear that the family will do just that.

> If the government needs something to do, why not chase the patented
Indonesian folk songs by the Malaysian?

> Rafiq Mahmood, Bogor (not verified) - Tue, 11/25/2008 - 9:08am
>
> Excellent. The author will be pleased. Nothing is better to boost
sales than by banning something.

> I hardly think that the CIA's and MI6's engineering of the Soeharto
coup and their accompanying death lists something to pretend didn't
happen any more. If someone thinks he has been libelled by the book
sue in the courts where it is published. Surely nothing to worry about
now, though: few people who survived those dark times have their hands
clean.

> If anyone wants to hush up what the CIA did then it is surely the
CIA themselves? Why do their work for them and be more enthusiastic
they they are?

> Don't be silly.
>
> Nairdah (not verified) - Mon, 11/24/2008 - 11:35pm
>
> Note the name of the book. The History of the CIA. It is a global
topic, not a book on Indonesia. The book is already published and
selling like fresh cooked sate. Yes, there is a mention of Adam Malik.
But the book contains other more serious aspects of Indonesian history
that has been kept from Indonesians for decades. Indonesians are
entitled to find out for themselves. The rest of the world already knows.

> Please don't ban a comprehensive history of the CIA just because
there is a short section on Indonesia you don't agree with.

> And as for summoning the writer..... He is probably too busy doing
book signings and media interviews.

> Nairdah (not verified) - Mon, 11/24/2008 - 11:17pm
>
> I think after all those decades of censorship of history by
Soeharto, Indonesians don't need another Big Brother after the style
of Soviet Russia or Maoist China to tell them what they can read or
not read. Eventually the facts will be flushed out. And banned books.

> Why is the automatic reaction of our politicians in Indonesia to ban
anything they fear or dislike - the clothes that people wear, the
movies they see, the books they can read,......the things they are
allowed to think. Like the recent police decision to ban a movie even
before it was filmed! Fear of the unknown is a powerful force in
closed minds.

> Time to show some maturity and recognise that Indonesia is (still) a
free and democratic country.

> If the Malik family feel an injustice, defamation, libel etc. they
have a legal recourse. How one family might feel is surely not a good
enough reason to block 100 million people from reading the book.

> But not to worry; if the book is banned I am sure that will attract
greater readership be it from Singapore bookshops, the Internet or
even local entrepeneurial book pirates. Banning books does not work in
the modern world so lets have a read and we can be the judges. I am
off to the bookshop now......

> Alan (not verified) - Mon, 11/24/2008 - 8:53pm
>
> Why should this be banned? What happened to reformation and
democracy? What are they afraid of. It's hardly a secret outside RI
that the Suharto administration had CIA links.

> I'm sure the writer will be amused to know he might be 'summoned'.

Kirim email ke