Baron Harries of Pentregarth: Can the bishop get the monkey off his back?

It's almost 150 years since the famous Huxley-Wilberforce debate was won by
supporters of evolution. This week, the combative lord challenges the atheist
Richard Dawkins to a replay. Cole Moreton meets... Baron Harries of Pentregarth

Sunday, 8 February 2009

'He thinks the theory of evolution and belief in God are completely
incompatible. This is total nonsense'

Abbie Trayler-Smith

'He thinks the theory of evolution and belief in God are completely
incompatible. This is total nonsense'

Is he mad? You just have to ask that of a retired clergyman who not only dares
to take on the most ferocious atheist of his age in a high-profile debate about
evolution, but also casts himself, in advance, as the loser. "Yes, it is a
challenge," admits Richard Harries, once a combative bishop but now a life
peer. He's ready. "My opponent has billed this as a friendly conversation. We
shall see."

The opponent is Richard Dawkins, who of course pulls no punches in The God
Delusion (book sales in excess of two million). But then neither does the noble
lord. "Dawkins is one of the attack dogs of fundamentalist atheism," says Lord
Harries, describing the biologist's belief that evolution is incompatible with
Christianity as "total nonsense". And there's more. "The old atheism was
content to say that Christianity was untrue. The new attack dogs also say it is
dangerous. Christopher Hitchens calls it a poison in the system. That's
fighting talk."

Seconds out, then. But Lord Harries will start on the back foot on Thursday,
when he meets Professor Dawkins at an Institute of Biology event to recreate a
confrontation from the Victorian age. The former bishop of Oxford will be
taking the part of one of his predecessors, who famously lost a debate that
came to be seen as a key moment in the development of the modern world.

The bishop versus the scientist. The monkey row. Every schoolboy and girl
learns about it, but if the details are a little blurry to you now, they will
surely be much clearer at the end of this week's celebrations marking the 200th
anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin. More than 300 events will be held
across the country, and it will be hard to miss someone exploring the legacy of
the man who discovered evolution. Few will neglect to mention the breakthrough
moment for his theory, widely held to have come in June 1860 during a
no-holds-barred intellectual knockout contest between Bishop Samuel "Soapy Sam"
Wilberforce and the scientist Thomas "Darwin's Bulldog" Huxley.

A thousand people watched them clash at the Oxford University Museum of Natural
History, with hundreds more unable to get in. Darwin was too ill to attend, but
many of the great scientific minds of the day were there. The Bishop – also a
scientist – was expected to wipe the floor with the new theory that had been
outlined by Darwin in On the Origin of Species only seven months earlier. He
blew it. Over-confident, Wilberforce demanded to know whether it was through
his grandfather or his grandmother that Huxley was related to an ape. The crowd
was shocked and offended. Huxley, apparently, leaned over to his neighbour and
whispered: "The Lord hath delivered him into mine hands."

He rose to say he would not be ashamed to have an ape in the family, but he
would be ashamed to be related to a man like Wilberforce who used his great
gifts to obscure the truth. Game, set and match to evolution, which
subsequently conquered the scientific community and the world. Or so the story
goes. Lord Harries doesn't quite buy it.

"This great encounter has come down to us through history and achieved almost
mythical status," he says, preparing to stand in for Soapy Sam. "The fact of
the matter is that nobody quite knows what went on in that meeting." That is
true. There is no verbatim account of the dialogue. "The great story that
Wilberforce had experienced a devastating defeat because of his rudeness and
flippancy was put out 40 years later by Huxley and friends of his in The
Gentleman's Magazine. It's a wonderful story, but it's spin."

Will he be asking if Professor Dawkins's grandfather was a gorilla? "No. He
won't get that from me." Lord Harries does not seem likely to crack jokes, but
nor will he suffer from the hubris that hurt Wilberforce's case.

He is courteous when we meet in the gloomy entrance to the House of Lords. In
episcopal purple, with swept-back hair and eyebrows like little wings, he suits
the grandeur of the Palace of Westminster. Before being made a life peer at
retirement on his 70th birthday, two years ago, he was one of the Lords
Spiritual – the bishops whose presence in the upper house is a relic of the
influence the Church of England used to have. No other faith group has an
institutional presence like it, and Lord Harries knows it can't last. He was
part of a commission on Lords reform that completely failed to bring about
anything of the kind, but he does believe change will come. "If it is to be an
entirely elected house, then the Lords Spiritual will disappear. Their position
is untenable."

That's the thing about Lord Harries: he works in a dubious, anachronistic
setting but he's a modern at heart. He opposed Section 28, for example, and
proposed the openly gay Jeffrey John should become Bishop of Reading in his
diocese in 2003. That was abandoned after the Archbishop of Canterbury lost his
nerve in the face of opposition from abroad, the first indication here that
homosexuality would be the issue to split the worldwide Anglican communion. "I
don't regret it for one moment," Lord Harries says. "He was the best person for
the job. I was absolutely gutted at the time, but I don't blame Rowan Williams."

He has grappled with some of the most urgent contemporary issues, as chair of
the Lords select committee on stem cell research and the ethics and law panel
of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority. Classic Church of England
men like him make useful chairs, because they are outside politics and happiest
on the fence. Anglicans have a special gift of the spirit of their own, he
says: "Fudge."

Lord Harries of Pentregarth ("a row of cottages in Ceinewydd, where my family
originates") was going to be an army officer until he became a priest. "I was
in Germany, waiting to go up to Cambridge to read science at the Army's
expense, and suddenly the thought came into my mind, 'Well, when I retire as a
successful general with a fat pension, what a lovely way to end my life: become
a country parson.' Smack bang after that came the thought: 'If that's what
you're meant to be doing, you'd better do it now.'"

He resigned his commission, shocking his parents, and "went up to Cambridge,
with no money at all, to read theology." There he met his wife Josephine, now a
retired paediatrician.

He is an opponent Dawkins appears to respect. The scientist has posted a video
of the two of them in conversation on his website, which Lord Harries says he
has not seen. "I have never bothered to watch it. One has so little time for
these indulgences."

Ouch. Under his usual civility and elegance lies the conviction that Dawkins is
pushing a false divide between religion and science, as Thomas Huxley did
before him. "Huxley was anti-clerical," he says. "People forget that the church
very quickly accepted the theory of evolution." He finds it "extraordinary"
that some people are seeking to teach a literal interpretation of scripture in
British schools. "Creationists totally misunderstand the Bible. Genesis is in
the business of story, myth, poetry, metaphor."

Creationists make it possible for atheists like Dawkins to be extreme, he says.
"They feed off one another. The debate has an unreality about it. Those of us
who are not fundamentalists can't find a place."

So let's be clear: does he believe that his God is working out His purposes
through evolution? "Yes. Absolutely. God makes the world make itself. God is
undergirding the whole process." Would that be the wild, bloodthirsty deity of
the Old Testament? "I hope not. That's a bit of a caricature. The Old Testament
has at its heart a God of loving kindness and faithfulness. Though there are
pictures of God in there that strike us as horrifying. Yeah."

The history of the church is pretty horrifying, too, isn't it? "The record is a
mixed one," he insists. "All right, you can point to the Inquisition and to
anti-Judaism as two of the most horrifying aspects." There are many more. "Yes,
but look at the other side. Until the late 19th century, groups of Christian
people were the major inititators behind schools, universities, hospitals,
hospices, work for the poor. That needs to be taken into account."

We have been talking for an hour. I have put it to him that his faith is under
siege, his church is marginal and his debating chamber looks ridiculous, but
Lord Harries refuses to give in, or even raise his voice. He's not mad, he just
doesn't think he has anything to be afraid of. Perhaps he's right.

"It is important to tackle Richard Dawkins. His slant is misconceived in a
number of ways. He thinks that the theory of evolution and belief in God are
completely incompatible. This is total nonsense. I don't mind saying so at all.
I'm looking forward to it."