Web address:
     http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/
     090212161814.htm
Astronomers Unveiling Life's Cosmic Origins
enlarge

The Cosmic Chemistry Cycle. (Credit: Bill Saxton, NRAO/AUI/NSF)

ScienceDaily (Feb. 13, 2009) — Processes that laid the foundation for life on
Earth -- star and planet formation and the production of complex organic
molecules in interstellar space -- are yielding their secrets to astronomers
armed with powerful new research tools, and even better tools soon will be
available.

Astronomers described three important developments at a symposium on the
"Cosmic Cradle of Life" at the annual meeting of the American Association for
the Advancement of Science in Chicago, IL.

In one development, a team of astrochemists released a major new resource for
seeking complex interstellar molecules that are the precursors to life. The
chemical data released by Anthony Remijan of the National Radio Astronomy
Observatory (NRAO) and his university colleagues is part of the Prebiotic
Interstellar Molecule Survey, or PRIMOS, a project studying a star-forming
region near the center of our Milky Way Galaxy.

PRIMOS is an effort of the National Science Foundation's Center for Chemistry
of the Universe, started at the University of Virginia (UVa) in October 2008,
and led by UVa Professor Brooks H. Pate. The data, produced by the NSF's Robert
C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope (GBT) in West Virginia, came from more than 45
individual observations totalling more than nine GigaBytes of data and over 1.4
million individual frequency channels.

Scientists can search the GBT data for specific radio frequencies, called
spectral lines -- telltale "fingerprints" -- naturally emitted by molecules in
interstellar space. "We've identified more than 720 spectral lines in this
collection, and about 240 of those are from unknown molecules," Remijan said.
He added, "We're making available to all scientists the best collection of data
below 50 GHz ever produced for the study of interstellar chemistry," Remijan
said.

Astronomers have already identified more than 150 molecules in interstellar
space in the past 40 years, including complex organic compounds such as sugars
and alcohols. "This is a major change in how we search for molecules in space,"
Remijan explained. "Before, people decided beforehand which molecules they were
looking for, then searched in a very narrow band of radio frequencies emitted
by those molecules. In this GBT survey, we've observed a wide range of
frequencies, collected the data and immediately made it publicly available.
Scientists anywhere can 'mine' this resource to find new molecules," he said.

Another key development, presented by Crystal Brogan of the NRAO, showed that
highly-detailed images of "protoclusters" of massive young stars reveal a
complex mix of stars in different stages of formation, complicated gas motions,
and numerous chemical clues to the physical conditions in such stellar
nurseries. "We saw a much more complex picture than we had expected and now
have new questions to answer," she said.

Using the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory's Submillimeter Array (SMA) in
Hawaii, Brogan and her colleagues studied a nebula 5,500 light-years from Earth
in the constellation Scorpius where stars significantly more massive than our
Sun are forming. "It's essential to understand what's going on in systems like
this because most stars, Sun-like stars included, form in clusters," Brogan
said.

"The most massive stars in the cluster have a tremendous impact on the
formation and environment of the rest of the cluster, including the
less-massive stars and their planets," Brogan said, adding that "if we want to
understand how solar systems that could support life form and evolve, we need
to know how these giant stars affect their environment."

Also, Brogan said, the massive young stars are surrounded by "hot cores" that
include copious organic material that later may be spewed into interstellar
space by stellar winds and other processes. This can help "seed" star-forming
regions with some of the chemicals found by the GBT and other telescopes.

Narrowing in on the problem of how planets form around young stars, David
Wilner of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics presented
observations with the SMA that revealed new details of solar systems in the
earliest stages of their formation. Wilner and his colleagues studied nine
dusty disks surrounding young stars in a region in the constellation Ophiuchus.

"These are the most detailed images of such disks made at these wavelengths,"
Wilner said. The images show the distribution of material on the same size
scale as our own Solar System, and indicate that these disks are capable of
producing planetary systems. Two of the disks show large central cavities where
young planets may already have swept out the material from their neighborhoods.

"Before, we knew that such disks have enough material to form solar systems.
These new images tell us that material is in the right places to form solar
systems. We're getting a tantalizing peek at the very earliest stages of planet
formation," said Sean Andrews, a Hubble Fellow at the CfA.

All three areas of study are poised for major advances with the impending
arrival of powerful new radio-telescope facilities such as the Atacama Large
Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) and the Expanded Very Large Array (EVLA),
and new capabilities for the GBT.

Studies of protoplanetary disks and young solar systems will benefit greatly
from the groundbreaking new capabilities of ALMA, Wilner said. "While we've
been able to study a few of these objects so far, ALMA will be able to give us
highly-detailed images of many more that we can't study today," he said. Wilner
added that ALMA also will likely provide new information on the chemicals in
those still-forming planetary systems.

The complex motions and chemistry of Brogan's protoclusters of young, massive
stars, also will become much clearer with ALMA. "Both the detail of the images
and the ability to find molecular spectral lines will improve by a factor of at
least 25 with ALMA," she said. In addition, the increased power of the EVLA
will give astronomers a far better look into the inner regions of the disks
around young stars -- regions obscured to telescopes operating at shorter
wavelengths.

"We know that complex chemicals exist in interstellar space before stars and
planets form. With the new research tools coming in the next few years, we're
on the verge of learning how the chemistry of the interstellar clouds, the
young stars and their environments, and the disks from which planets are formed
is all linked together to provide the chemical basis for life on those
planets," Remijan explained.

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson of the American Museum of Natural History
noted, "Like no other science, astrophysics cross-pollinates the expertise of
chemists, biologists, geologists and physicists, all to discover the past,
present, and future of the cosmos -- and our humble place within it."
Adapted from materials provided by National Radio Astronomy Observatory.
Email or share this story:
Need to cite this story in your essay, paper, or report? Use one of the
following formats:
APA

MLA
National Radio Astronomy Observatory (2009, February 13). Astronomers Unveiling
Life's Cosmic Origins. ScienceDaily. Retrieved February 13, 2009, from
http://www.sciencedaily.com­ /releases/2009/02/090212161814.htm