Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'
There could be one hundred billion Earth-like planets in our galaxy, a US
conference has heard.
Dr Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Science said many of these worlds
could be inhabited by simple lifeforms.
He was speaking at the annual meeting of the American Association for the
Advancement of Science in Chicago.
So far, telescopes have been able to detect just over 300 planets outside our
Solar System.
Very few of these would be capable of supporting life, however. Most
are gas giants like our Jupiter; and many orbit so close to their
parent stars that any microbes would have to survive roasting
temperatures.
But, based on the limited numbers of planets found so
far, Dr Boss has estimated that each Sun-like star has on average one
"Earth-like" planet.
This simple calculation means there would be huge numbers capable of supporting
life.
"Not only are they probably habitable but they probably are also going
to be inhabited," Dr Boss told BBC News. "But I think that most likely
the nearby 'Earths' are going to be inhabited with things which are
perhaps more common to what Earth was like three or four billion years
ago." That means bacterial lifeforms.
Dr Boss estimates that Nasa's Kepler mission, due for
launch in March, should begin finding some of these Earth-like planets
within the next few years.
Recent work at Edinburgh University tried to quantify
how many intelligent civilisations might be out there. The research
suggested there could be thousands of them.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/7891132.stm

Published: 2009/02/15 10:25:15 GMT

© BBC MMIX