http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=HomePage&id=3e8d2e5d-bf29-4bf3-a63d-a7a634e666dd&Headline=Taliban+terror+forces+Hindus+to+flee+Pakistan

Taliban terror forces Hindus to flee Pakistan

Vishal Rambani , Hindustan Times
Amritsar, March 09, 2009
First Published: 01:42 IST(9/3/2009)
Last Updated: 01:58 IST(9/3/2009)

Their forefathers made a choice 60 years ago and stayed back in Peshawar
despite Partition. And today their unhappy descendants - a group of Hindu
families - have been forced to flee by the rising influence of the
fundamentalist Taliban.  See popup

"I think our forefathers committed a mistake by staying back in Peshawar during
Partition and we are now correcting this mistake so that our coming generations
will not suffer what we faced in Pakistan," said Vijay Kumar from Peshawar in
Pakistan.

Kumar sold off his house and every household item he could, and left for India
with his wife and children. They are part of a group of five families - 16 men,
16 women and three children - that reached Amritsar recently. They are seeking
Indian citizenship.

The Taliban have won major successes recently and wrested crucial
administrative concessions for themselves in the northwest frontier areas of
Pakistan such as the Swat Valley. They are now closing in on one of the biggest
urban centres in those parts, Peshawar.

Posters carrying the Taliban's messages and rulings have begun popping up all
over, and are specially disconcerting for these Hindu families in villages
around Peshawar - directing men not to shave and women not to go to school.

"The Taliban are approaching Peshawar," said Jagdish Sharma, a hakim
(practitioner of local system of medicine) from Peshawar. "We've heard stories
of molestation and cruelty against women there."

Sharma sold a family business started by his forefathers and left with his
family. "I don't know what was the situation during Partition, but the present
situation is so bad that no one can breathe with freedom. I don't want to bring
up my children in a war-like situation."

And they are not going back now. Hardwari Lal, resident of Orkzai, about 180 km
from Peshawar, said, "I was running a grocery shop which was forcibly taken
over by the fundamentalists, who also captured all our property."

Laxmi Narain simply went out of business because of the restrictions imposed by
the Taliban. He ran a cosmetics store and got no customers after a while
because women were forced to wear burqas - "demand nose-dived". He sold his
store and left.

But Narain is not bitter about it, only practical. "When law-enforcement
agencies are feeling helpless, how can a common man feel secure? We are not
blaming the government, but it's just that terrorists are calling the shots now.

Kirim email ke