Muhammad the Paraclete

Ibn Kammuna

It is a common belief for the Muslim masses that the Bible (the
Jewish and Christian holy books) contain many prophecies about prophet
Muhammad. This is not just a belief of public relations by any means.
Many intellectuals and Muslim apologetics have such a belief. This
belief, as the reader will see shortly, is baseless. It is no more than
a day-dreaming incident for the Muslim apologetic, and a bad one indeed.

In this article I present to the reader the Islamic claims in regard
to this matter as presented by one of the Muslim apologetics living in
the west; Dr. Jamal Badawi.
The Qur’an states:

Those who follow the Apostle, the
unlettered Prophet, Whom they find mentioned in their own Scriptures,
in the Torah and the Gospel… (Holy Qu’ran: VII – 157; Translation:
Yusif Ali)

So, it seems, all Muslims have to believe such a claim- that
Muhammad was mentioned in the Bible. Since the word “Muhammad” is not
mentioned in the Bible, it is imperative that Muslim apologetics look
for some “word” in the Bible, and claim that that word signifies the
prophet of Islam-Muhammad. Dr. Jamal Badawi is no genius by any means.
He is not an honest researcher either, and this matter will become
apparently clear by the end of this very article.

Muhammad, Badawi claims, is the Paraclete in the Bible. This claim
is not new to me. I grew up in the Middle East. Muslims who have no
academic training or education whatsoever used to announce this fact to
me with utmost confidence. This mass ignorance does not come from a
vacuum. The so-called scholars of Islam encourage this sharade of
idiocy through their writings. Jamal Badawi asserts this about Muhammad
being the Paraclete – [paragraph numbers were added by Ibn Kammuna]

(http://www.islamicity.com/Mosque/Muhammad_Bible.HTM):

THAT PROPHET- PARACLETE- MUHAMMAD

•1. Up to the time of Jesus (peace be upon him), the Israelites were still
awaiting for that prophet like unto Moses prophecied in Deuteronomy 18:18.
When John the Baptist came, they asked him if he was Christ and he said
“no”. They asked him if he was Elias and he said “no”. Then, in
apparent reference to Deuteronomy 18:18, they asked him “Art thou that Prophet”
and he answered, “no”. (John 1: 1 9-2 1).
•2. In the Gospel according to John (Chapters 14, 15, 16)
Jesus spoke of the “Paraclete” or comforter who will come after him,
who will be sent by Father as another Paraclete, who will teach new
things which the contemporaries of Jesus could not bear. While the
Paraclete is described as the spirit of truth, (whose meaning resemble
Muhammad’s famous title Al-Amin, the trustworthy), he is identified in one
verse as the Holy Ghost (John 14:26). Such a designation is however
inconsistent with the profile of that Paraclete. In the words of the Dictionary
of the Bible, (Ed. J. Mackenzie) “These items, it must be admitted do not give
an entirely coherent picture.”

•3. Indeed history
tells us that many early Christians understood the Paraclete to be a
man and not a spirit. This might explain the followings who responded
to some who claimed, without meeting the criteria stipulated by Jesus,
to be the awaited “Paraclete”.

•4. It was Prophet Muhammad
(peace be upon him) who was the Paraclete, Comforter, helper,
admonisher sent by God after Jesus. He testified of Jesus, taught new
things which could not be borne at Jesus’ time, he spoke what he heard
(revelation), he dwells with the believers (through his well-preserved
teachings). Such teachings will remain forever because he was the last
messenger of God, the only Universal Messenger to unite the whole of humanity
under God and on the path of PRESERVED truth.
He told of many things to come which “came to pass” in the minutest
detail meeting, the criterion given by Moses to distinguish between the
true prophet and the false prophets (Deuteronomy 18:22). He did reprove the
world of sin, of righteousness and of judgement (John 16:8-11)

Let us analyze what Dr. Badawi is saying

Paragraph number 1 uses a verse from the old testament (Deuternomy
18:18) to establish an indirect claim about Muhammad. Well, let us see
what that verse says:

King James Version – I will raise them up a Prophet from among their
brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he
shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

One does not need to be a theologian to see that there is nothing in
that verse telling about Muhammad. In fact, if one reads FFI challenge,
it will become apparent that if anything, the above verse will never
apply to Muhammad. How can such a verse apply to a leader of a gang of
robbers who massacred about seven hundred adult men of Bani Qurayze in
one day? How can such a verse apply to a looter and an assassin? How
can such a verse apply to a man who prayed his Fajr prayer then
attacked the peaceful farmers of Khayber? The second verse that Dr.
Badawi mentions is (John 1: 19-21). Here are the verses:

King James Version

19. And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from
Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?
20. And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.
21. And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art
thou that prophet? And he answered, No.
Did you see it in verse 20? The context of the talk with John the
Baptist is him being questioned if he was Jesus Christ; the awaited
savior. But what did Dr. Badawi do? He ignored that completely, and
claims that such verses lead toward Muhammad. Now, I am not a
theologian. But it is evident to me that John 1:19-21 is talking about
Jesus Christ, and not about Muhammad. The reader can see that clearly
in verse 20 above. It’s right there in black and white. I am an
academic researcher myself, and Dr. Badawi’s research behavior raises
many issues and questions in my mind. I find it highly improbable that
Dr. Badawi did not see and read verse 20 above, when he himself is
using verses 19-21 to show that Muhammad was foretold in the bible. It
is evident that Badawi is not a competent researcher. He is not an
honest researcher either. An honest researcher takes the raw facts
first, then moves on to analyze and/or synthesize his/her findings. In
fact, I can claim with confidence here that Dr. Jamal Badawi is no more
than a liar.

In any case, let us move on

The second paragraph above talks about chapters 14 through 16 of the
gospel of John. Those three chapters talk about the “holy spirit”.
However, Mr. Badawi twists the facts, and claims that we are talking
about prophet Muhammad. The “spirit of truth”. according to Badawi, is
Muhammad. Now, I do not know how a man like Muhammad can be called the
spirit of truth. How can you call a person truthful if he lied and
instructed his followers to lie? How can you call Muhammad truthful
when he broke many treaties? In fact Muhammad’s Hudaibiya treaty was
supposed to last ten years. Muhammad broke it in the second year and
took over Mecca. Muhammad was anything but a spirit of truth. What Dr.
Badawi needs to do is go to Christian sites to see how Christians
understand their books. When I try to understand certain Qur’anic
verses, I go to Islamic sites and Qur’anic Tafsirs. Don’t Biblical
verses deserve a similar treatment? And, again, it is apparent that Dr.
Badawi is an incompetent researcher.

Let us move on to the third paragraph

This paragraph contains a grand claim by Dr. Badawi that is not
supported by any references, quotes, or any piece of evidence. As such,
this claim is no more than mere nonsense in a supposedly “research”
article.

Let us move to the fourth paragraph

This paragraph has grand claims also. Badawi just claims that Muhammad is the
Paraclete. Muhammad is the only Universal Messenger to unite the whole of
humanity under God and on the path of PRESERVED truth.
I do not know how Dr. Badawi knows that. He did not supply much
evidence to such grand claims. How is Muhammad “the only Universal
Messenger”? How is Muhammad to unite all humanity? All Muhammad did is
loot, kill rape, steal, and divide people into two camps the Muslims
and the Kafirs. He also divided the world into two houses: the house of
war (Dar Al-Harb) and the house of peace (Dar Al-Salam). So, pretty
much what Muhammad brought is division of people and division of lands,
and honoring evil actions.. How is that to be the path of Preserved
Truth, and how is Muhammad the Universal Messenger, are matters left to
Mr. Badawi to enlighten us about..

I find Badawi’s fourth paragraph very disturbing indeed. He is
supposed to be a researcher looking for the truth. Yet, his last
paragraph reveals an incompetent researcher who pronounces statements
unsupported by evidence, and makes grand claims that are contrary to
the facts.

Finally, I find it very appropriate to quote the great human being
Ali Sina in ending my article here. After all, Mr. Badawi is a Muslim
apologetic who lives in the west. It is high time for Muslim
apologetics living in the west to leave Islam, and embrace humanity. It
is time for them to leave this giant lie of a cult behind. Their
efforts do not serve any purpose but prolong the cult of death-Islam.
Hence, My quote from Dr. Sina applies perfectly to Dr. Badawi and his
elk (http://www.faithfreedom.org/2009/03/14/3727/):

If you are worried about the Muslim
intellectuals finding the portrayal of their prophet in our site
insulting, they better use some of their intellect, learn the truth
about Islam and stop this stupidity.  People are being killed every day
for Muslim intellectuals to continue with their intellectual
masturbation about how the Quran predicted scientific discoveries.  It
is these so called intellectuals that are prolonging the life of this
cult of dead. It is time for them to face the truth that Islam is a
giant lie and a dangerous cult. It is time for these Muslim
intellectuals to pull their heads out of the sand of Arabian desert and
end this stupidity and these bloodsheds.

      Get your preferred Email name!