From another thread:

A brief dialogue between a Brazilian theologist, Leonardo Boff and the Dalai
Lama:

In a round table discussion about religion and freedom in which Dalai Lama and
myself were participating at recess I maliciously, and also with interest asked
him : "Your holiness, what is the best religion?"

I though he would say: "The Tibetan Buddhism" or "The oriental religions, much
older than Christianity".

Dalai Lama paused, smiled and looked at me in the eye ... which surprised me
because I knew of the malice contained in my question.

He answered: "The best religion is the one that gets you closedt to God. It is
the one that makes you a better person."

To get out my embarassment with such a wise answer, I asked: "What is it that
makes me better?"

He responded: "Whatever makes you more compassionate, more sensible, more
detached, more loving, more humanitarian, more responsible, more ethicalm".
"The religion that will do that for you is the best religion"

I was silent for a moment marvelling and even today thinking of his wise and
irrefutable response:

"I am not interested, my friend, about your religion or if you are relugious or
not"

"What really is important to me is your behaviour in front of your peers,
family, work, community, and in front of the world."

"Remember, the universe is the echo of our actions and our thoughts."

"The law of action and reaction is not exclusively for physics. It is also a
human relations. If I act with goodness, I will receive goodness. If I act with
evil, I will get evil."

"What our grantparents told us is the pure truth. You will always have what you
desire for others. Being happy is not a matter of destiny. It is a matter of
options."

Finally he said:
"Take care of your Thoughts because they become Words.
Take care of your Words because they become Actions.
Take care of your Actions because they become your Habits.
Take care of your Habits because they become your Character.
Take care of your Character because it will form your Destiny, and your Destiny
will be your Life ... and ...
There is no religion higher than the Truth."
Sent from my BlackBerry®