Hi Erik,

in the admin interface (where you can define this attributes) you can set
if it's a required field or not.

Just select "optional" and you do not need to fill it.

Greetings,

 -Martin

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nk9nlFTOwtk/WWeSKJUBGwI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/Qi9USkKd-fsDYeit424lZTjOxmgzdMlmACLcBGAs/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2017-07-13%2Bat%2B17.30.15.png>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/zammad-users/87de4e6b-cd6a-496e-8fd9-ffc4164f2b09%40googlegroups.com.