No mention of reputable tracker sites like easytree that try hard to make sure that no copyrighted material is traded. I bet the greedy music industry will try to shut it all down just because they aren't making any money from it. On the other hand I guess there are other tracker websites out there that deal in copyrighted movies and music.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 2:17 PM
Subject: [Zappa-List] problems for easytree?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1212&e=1&u=/nm/20041106/wr_nm/column_livewire_dc&sid=95573503

File-Sharing Network Thrives Beneath the Radar
Sat Nov 6,11:17 AM ET

 Technology - Internet Report

By Adam Pasick

LONDON (Reuters) - A file-sharing program called BitTorrent has become a behemoth, devouring more than a third of the Internet's bandwidth, and Hollywood's copyright cops are taking notice.

For those who know where to look, there's a wealth of content, both legal -- such as hip-hop from the Beastie Boys and video game promos -- and illicit, including a wide range of TV shows, computer games and movies.

Average users are taking advantage of the software's ability to cheaply spread files around the Internet. For example, when comedian Jon Stewart made an incendiary appearance on CNN's political talk show "Crossfire," thousands used BitTorrent to share the much-discussed video segment.

Even as lawsuits from music companies have driven people away from peer-to-peer programs like KaZaa, BitTorrent has thus far avoided the ire of groups such as the Motion Picture Association of America. But as BitTorrent's popularity grows, the service could become a target for copyright lawsuits.

According to British Web analysis firm CacheLogic, BitTorrent accounts for an astounding 35 percent of all the traffic on the Internet -- more than all other peer-to-peer programs combined -- and dwarfs mainstream traffic like Web pages.

"I don't think Hollywood is willing to let it slide, but whether they're able to (stop it) is another matter," Bram Cohen, the programer who created BitTorrent, told Reuters.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada