A very satisfactory and interesting reply. I do recognize a certain
fraudulence in the way classical music is packaged in our culture. It is
effective because the general knowledge of music and music history is so
pathetic. But to those with a clue the sham is pretty transparent. Sounds
like this kid falls into that description.
Unfortunately I have never heard Lachenmann. I really do prefer older
classical music, with a couple exceptions. Zappa is one of them.
Mark

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Mark Darling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I have to say that to suggest that Stockhausen or Cage are the "new"
>> standards that should somehow replace older, romantic standards,
>> make no sense to me.
> In the old avantgarde days they radically replaced romantic
> "subjectivity" with "objectivity". And that actually was intended and
> worked as a replacement - then. But viewed from our post-modern view
> indeed they "only" *added* something - but something significant and
> important to any "standards" that developped during cultural history.
> And I'm just critical about (contemporary composed) music that doesn't
> reflect that in some way (hey, and Zappa of course DID! :o).
> (btw: Lachenmann, maybe not so well-known outside Europe? (a
> Nono-student ;o), adds some political background to the mix and
> influenced loads of european younger composers, hence I mentioned
> him).
>
>> I don't mean by this to detract from the modernists, but their
>> accomplishments have not rendered Beethoven, for instance,
>> irrelevant.
> I absolutely agree, what can make somebody like Beethoven
> "irrelevant"? - don't get me wrong. But composing in his style (or
> Meldelssohn's or Mozart's or Saint Saens'...) *today* really is
> something different!
>
>> Incidentally, does anyone know if Stockhausen is an Anthroposophist?
> Hmm, I never got that impression. He build his own world it seems with
> various religious influences, some mystic & mythological stuff, ideas
> about life on outer planets, rebirth etc... what ever. One surely can
> say he's an egocentricolosophist. But the term "anthroposophy" never
> caught my attention when reading about him or in his books.
> (My girl friend spontaneously said: yes, he has something of that - so
> maybe he just avoids to define himself somehow, or his personality is
> too complex for one such category).
>
> Joerg
>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> not exactly knowing what "Yikes" means, I first thought Dawayne
> wanted
>>> to say with the posting of the link something like: "this
> phenomenon
>>> really sucks!" - and when reading the article I thought: "hm,
> ok...
>>> sort of." - not the guy, but the sensational and at the same time
>>> pretty non-informative article.
>>>
>>> All the surroundings sound like a revival of the spirit of
> romantisism
>>> (the "young genius"-thing) and in case the music actually sounds
> in
>>> correspondance to this spirit, I'd say: hats off to the completely
>>> impressive technical talents of this little genius, but we're in
> the
>>> 21st century, and many standards better not to ignore were set by
>>> people like Cage, Stockhausen, Lachenmann and many more in the
> [...]

Tired of hearing the same songs over and over?
Listen to Internet Radio! Skip songs. Click to listen to LAUNCHcast!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/OXvbED/HARHAA/n1hLAA/jGKolB/TM