That is very strange indeed. a cda file is in fact a cd-da marker. In other words if you put a regular music CD in your PC and explore the disc you should see only cda files. There should be no wav files on a music CD. The CD-DA (compact disc digital audio) format can't be supported as such on a hard drive and the cda files are actually just markers to let your computer know that the disc contains CD-DA. The question is why would there be wav files on the disc? If you put that disc in a stand alone player the CD-DA or cda file should be the only one that plays. Unless your player plays wav and mp3 as some DVD players and car audio players do. The gaps you have been hearing are probably just there from the application you use to play wav on the PC. Like if you were playing a group of mp3's. It could be that if you take the wave files and burn them DAO set for no gap you might have a good CD. Except for that mysterious track one. It could be ripped to a wave file though with EAC. Or if your not familiar with EAC some other ripper like Nero Or Roxio. Just be sure to rip it to wav and not to mp3 to maintain full CD quality sound.
----- Original Message -----
From: abxer3p
Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2005 11:33 PM
Subject: [Zappa-List] question

Hi,

In an attempt to edit out the 2 second gaps in the 31 Mar 79 Munich show, I have copied all of disc one to my hard drive.  However, I cannot copy track one, as my software says it can't copy a .cda file.  Well then, how do I access this track?  All the others on disc one are .wav files.

I'm still trying, but if anyone has any helpful methods/ideas, please let me know.

thanks,
Joseph