Very good advice. I can only add that the widely excepted software for doing this is CDwav. There are numerous problems that other software can create and this one is specifically designed to avoid them. All the highest quality conversions are being done with CDWav and best of all it's free. Well you can pay for it but the software author said all it gets you is a clear conscience. Basically you can download and use it free and if at some time you feel like you want to pay him $15 he has something set up to take it.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Zappa-List] gmail accounts, etc.

well, i don't need a gmail account, but i found myself in a similar
situation, so here are my 2c below.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, hoosac1877 wrote:

> It wasn't until about two months ago that I finally acquired the
> ability to burn CDs... and I have yet to do so. Thus, here's my
> question: what would be the best way to transfer all these Maxell and
> TDK tapes to CDs? By "best," I mean in what manner would I be able to
> best preserve the integrity of the original recording? How would I go

Fortunately, even if you did a fabulous job collecting, the odds are that
what's already out in the digital realm is in most cases better than what
you have on tape. So if you see a fabulous-looking show appear as a bit
torrent, download it, and compare with what you already have. Not meaning
any disrespect, but the odds are that most of your collection already
exists in the digital realm, and other people have done the grunt work.

There are people who transfer by playing analog tapes directly into their
standalone CD burners. I don't recommend that b/c you can't do any edits,
and you have one shot to make it right. Further, you're going directly to
audio CD, which does introduce errors compared to pure digital. (Way fewer
than analog gens, but still, going digital allows flawless distribution.)

So that means you'll probably use a computer and capture card....

> about removing any annoying and/or distracting cuts and breaks in the
> recordings? What would be the most economical way to transfer 1,600+
> hours of tape onto CDs? What kinds of hardware and software would be
> necessary to accomplish this?

The task is actually to 'make digital' - you might choose DVD as an audio
storage medium instead. (I went with CD-R of audio files and backup DVD's
of the FLAC file image backups for storing and sharing.)

There is a whole lot of info on capturing sound via computer, and I'm sure
people have sent you pointers to hardware. (My device works great but is
obsolete and no longer available.) My tips here are:
1) Clean your analog deck and keep it in good shape
2) Don't use lossy formats on capture
3) Sample at 44.1/16 so as to avoid the need for later resampling to get
ready for CD
4) The weak link in the cheapest setup (hook up a tape deck to your analog
soundcard and record on the PC/Mac) is bound to be the audio input
connector. You'll get lots of hum and noise - computers are very
electrically noisy and most soundcards use really low quality shielding
and parts to keep costs down.

Good luck!