Title: Re: [Zappa-List] OFF Looking for help fixing a DVD that wo
Yes some players require the AUDIO_TS folder to play it. Usually it's empty. In fact the only time I've ever seen one with something in it is QuAUDIOPHILIAc. If adding an empty one doesn't work you might want to try downloading TMPGEnc DVD author. It's the best DVD authoring software I've seen so far. You can add DVD video to a project as well as MPEG-2 files. This should allow you to author a new DVD and then add the files you have in the VIDEO_TS folder. It can even keep chapter breaks if it has good ones. Then it should be able to author a good usable new VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder from that.

Oh and it comes with a free 28 day trial. Fully functional. I've been using it free for about 20 days now and I think I'm going to have to buy it. I have heard that if you set your computers clock / calendar ahead ten years before installing it then back again after installation it's free forever. I'm not endorsing such a plan and I didn't try this but just thought I'd mention it.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 8:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Zappa-List] OFF Looking for help fixing a DVD that won't play

I've had the same problem with DVDs sent to me.
For maximum compatibility, it seems DVDs should have an empty AUDIO_TS folder at the same level than the VIDEO_TS folder. Don't ask me why, but it works when I re-burn the DVDs with the added AUDIO_TS folder.

A.

Sorry for the blanket posting, but I'm really stuck here.

I received a DVD of a Here & Now show last year from the guy who filmed it.
It won't play on anything (normal standalone DVD player, DVD ROM drives in 3
different computers or a DVD writer in another PC).  Other people who got
copies of it have the same problem.

I can see the files and folders (VOBs, VIDEO_TS, etc.) and I can copy them
off it onto my HD, but Nero won't recognise them.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can rescue this disk? I don't mind what
format it ends up in, as long as I can see/hear the show somehow.

Many thanks.            Rob.