I had the same problem recently and got the same clueslessness at Radio
Shack. The solution, my brother? Ebay. Thirty bucks. Had it in a week.
The seller I used also sends links to a handful of places to get the
necessary software to burn LPs to CD or to put on your hard drive. I
haven't followed up on that but my turntable works fine.
Mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pKxVKC/UOnJAA/n1hLAA/yXLolB/TM