You can purchase a phono pre-amp for moving magnet cartridges from
Recoton at places like buy.com for less than $30.  Please understand
that at $30 it will be very listenable thriough your aux input on your
receiver but will not sound like a $300 - several thousand $ phono
stage designed for preamplifiers without phono sections (like your
receiver).  Vinyl records are encoded with what is called a RIAA curve
alowing for low frequencies through high frequencies to be etched
(stamped) into the small groove.  The phono pre-amp decodes this
curve!  The accuracy of this decoding varies greatly between phono
preamps.  Very acurate (+/- .1 dB or less) usually sound better than
less accurate (+/- .5dB).  The ear detects miilibells of difference in
frequency as comppared to needing decibles for volume (loudness).
Anyway hope this helps. A $30 unit will work and you will be able to
listen to your vinyl but it does sound better with better equipment.

Mark

--- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings, oh my brothers,
> After listening to music by way of boomboxes and headphones for the
> past few years, I decided to buy, finally, a decent am/fm stereo
> receiver for my 50th birthday.  I got one at Radio Shack.  A
> Sherwood RX-4103.  105 watts/channel RMS with .03% THD.  A receiver
> like this would've cost four or five hundred bucks 25 years ago.  I
> paid $100.  I hooked up my old but trusty JBL L100 speakers, my
> cassette/CD player boombox, and my VCR and DVD players.  What a
> sound, oh my brothers!  Clean..powerful...The more I increased the
> volume, the better the sound!  Then I hooked up my good Pioneer
> manual turntable to the AUX inputs.  (There aren't any phono
inputs,
> but I didn't think it would matter...Those of you in-the-know are
> laughing now!!)  I put on a record, set the tone arm gently on the
> beginning of the record....and got NOTHING, unless I turned the
> volume all the way up.  Then I got a tinny, faraway sound...
Dammit,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/c9hWNA/3MnJAA/n1hLAA/yXLolB/TM