Ironically 20 years ago the only place I could buy a decent phono pre amp under $100 was radio shack. Now all they have is a turntable with a built in pre amp (unheard of 20 years ago). The one in the top left corner here looks like the exact same item they used to sell however.
----- Original Message -----
From: Mark D.
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Zappa-List] Off Topic Question to Audiophiles

I had the same problem recently and got the same clueslessness at Radio
Shack. The solution, my brother? Ebay. Thirty bucks. Had it in a week.
The seller I used also sends links to a handful of places to get the
necessary software to burn LPs to CD or to put on your hard drive. I
haven't followed up on that but my turntable works fine.
Mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pKxVKC/UOnJAA/n1hLAA/yXLolB/TM