Hey folks, have been a fan since the seventh grade (1969)when I
traded John Lennon's Life With The Lions for FZ's Absolutely Free.
Have been a hard core fan since. Only got to see Frank live five
times (six, if you count the two back to back shows on one night)
when I came of age in Austin,Texas. Regretfully, never saw him with
Ian Underwood.
I am finally buying Zappa on CD and am dividing my purchases between
classics and the flood of posthumous work coming from Ryko etc.
Here's my 1st question- I bought the Lather box set. When playing it
on my PC, often the titles appearing are not actually those playing.
Is this an FZ joke from the grave? I remember when first obtaining
Absolutely Free on vinyl, experiencing my frustration in that the
grooves that usually separated the tracks were offset making it
impossible to start a compostion on cue- later on I would laugh
thinking this was FZ's way of fucking with the DJs and making you
listen to his work by the side/concept rather than by the single.
Question 2- Anybody know of any interesting sources for Ian
Underwood or Don Preston? I have been to Don's site, emailing himn
from there has provoked no response. I would like to order some of
his and Bunk Gardners CDs but do not want to send money if the
operation is defunct.
Question 3- what is a vine?
Question 4- any Varese fan's out there? I see on Overstock.com that
there will be a Varese biography available there soon.