I hear more than just the Rite of Spring in Frank's work. Stravinsky's chorales seemed to have had an effect as did his shorter works such as "Fireworks" and "Dumbarton Oaks." I hear his compositional style in much of Frank's work.

Good luck with the job...
Totally true- one can hear Ionisation's influence all over Frank's
music and he seemed to unashamedly 'borrow' from Igor's Rites Of
Spring. Have to admit I am partial to Frank's Burnt Weenie Sandwich/
Uncle Meat era. I picked up an interesting disc from Half-Price
Books called Picantique. Definately recommend it if you haven't
heard it.
I disposed of my vinyl years ago, but I seem to remember Ameriques
featuring the horns- the composition was written to express Varese'
first impressions of America as an immigrant. Poeme is electronic in
origin. Am waiting as we communicate for my latest shipment of CDs
from Overstock.com. One of them is Varese with Americques on it. I
noticed a few days ago that they added another Varese featuring more
of the compositions we have discussed.
Need to get ready for work. Just finished my vacation and have been
experiencing some motivational issues this morning. I was self
employed from 1982 thru Jan. 2005. Sometimes I find it a little much
working for 'the man'. Gotta go earn more CD $$$.
--- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hear the Varese influence on Frank in his use of percussion
> and atonal use of instruments. But Frank wore his influences on
his sleeve when it comes to Varese and Stravinsky both.

> Is Poeme Electronique the one with the firehorns in it?
>   Another interesting work by Varese- Poeme Electronique- modified
>   taped and electronic effects created for a World's Fair exhibit
>   believe. Perhaps a clue to Zappa's fascination with taped
tidbits
>   punctuating his comedy music.
>   My original exposure to Varese (via Zappa referral) was on vinyl-

>   Robert Craft conducting.
>   BTW, there are two versions of Density 21.5- 21.5 pertaining to
the
>   density of platinum. Varese composed the piece for the inaugural
>   presentation of the platinum flute. There is a detailed analysis
of
>   the composition found on Wikipedia- look it up as Density 21.5.
>   --- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, <mr_and_mrs_skull@> wrote:
>   >
>   > Actually my copy of Ionisation includes Octandre and Density
(I
>   seem to recall it listed as "Densities" but could be mistaken).
But
>   I've never heard Ameriques. I'll take a look at Overstock and
check
>   the prices. Thanks for the tip.
>   >   Overstock.Com has two Edgar Varese recordings, both
featuring
>   >   Ionisation and Deserts. If you aren't familiar with
Ameriques, I
>   would
>   >   highly recommend it- a gargantuan wall of 20th century
symphonic
>   >   sound. One of the recordings features Density 21.5, a
>   magnificnet
>   >   flute solo, very fluidic modern melodies.
>   >
>   >   --- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, <mr_and_mrs_skull@> wrote:
>   >   >
>   >   > "Question 4- any Varese fan's out there?"
>   >   >
>   >   > Yes. Have Ionisation and Deserts. Need to get them on Cd
>   though. My
>   >   turntable is a thing of the past. Someone needs to a
complete
>   Varese
>   >   box set.
>   >   >
>   >   > Mr. Skull
>   >   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   For further Z-related fun, please visit
>   http://www.thebignote.com or http://www.killuglyradio.com ,
thank
>   you.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >         Family fun  Fun christmas gift  Fun apron
>   >
>   >
----
Terms