Greetings One & All!
April is right around the corner and we all know what that means:
(Yeah, it means a shitload of things to a lot of different people, but
for our purposes it means)
The Annual "Zappathon" is coming up soon! (April 23rd, to be precise.)
That's right, you heard right, the 12 hour extravaganza that dares to
be Zappa will mangle the air waves in a little less than a month.
(Bring the Band down behind me, Boys.)
For those that have tuned-in in the past, you know that there's bound
to be a ton of tasty FZ to enjoy, much of it rare or difficult to
acquire - making the Zappathon a "must listen" in the FZ community.
Yup. Uncle Frank gets the radio play he sorely lacked during his
all-too-brief lifetime - 12 freakin' hours worth!
But this is more than just an announcement regarding the program, this
is also a "call to arms" (or mouths, if you prefer).
Once again, "Mr. Edison" - the Zappathon's guiding light (Zappa-List
member Bill Amutis) - and Company have asked if I would like to be a
"voice" for the FZ Community on the program. I've agreed...
But with so many "voices" out there, I couldn't help wonder "Why Me?"
So I concocted this Evil Plan:
Since the Zappathon is truly a global event, as is the FZ Community,
why not incorporate some 'other voices' into the program?
The Powers at WUSB have deemed this "a BRILLIANT idea" (go figure).
So this is your chance to "share the air" with the likes of Greg
Russo, Nigey Lennon, David Walley, Charles Ulrich, Candy Zappa - to
name just a few past Zappa luminaries that have appeared; your chance
to pay personal homage to the man that brought most of us together;
your chance to "plug" your fan club, FZ Tribute Band, FZ website, make
a statement or that 'long distance dedication' you've been dying to make.
"Gee, SOFA, how can I lend MY voice to this year's Zappathon?"
Glad you asked...
Here's the deal: the Zappathon is a radio show and - as such - it has
certain 'rules' it needs to abide, announcing its call letters (WUSB)
for one. The show is also part of the annual Fund Drive to keep the
station in operation, so there NEEDS to be requests for support.
We (in the FZ global community) can help out by providing these
"station breaks".
For example: "Hi, this is Poodle from theBIGnote and you're listening
to Zappathon 2006 from WUSB Stoneybrook"; or "This is 'Barry' from
'Kill Ugly Radio' in Belgium. We're all doing our part to Kill Ugly
Radio and no one does more than the hard workin' folks down at WUSB
Stoneybrook... If ya think about it, that's kinda beautiful. And while
you're thinkin' about it, why not throw a coupla bucks their way?"; or
"This is Bart from Poland and I want to dedicate "Strictly Genteel" to
my pal Dimi in Croatia."
Get the Picture? The possibilities are indeed endless...
All you need to do is simply record your audio message, and email it
to me. I will collate all of the submissions, burn them to disk, and
send it on to the team at WUSB.
Don't know what to say? Email me. Want to Freak Out in the Suburbs? Go
for it!
(WUSB is a Public Radio operation that can "push the envelope" of
"acceptable" radio play; however, the staff retains the right to edit
or omit anything patently obscene or profane. We want to Kill Ugly
Radio, not WUSB.)
Kinda like registering to vote, this is your chance to let your voice
be heard!
Let the taping begin...
Warm Regards,
SOFA