On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 01:46:10AM +0000, Devrandom wrote:
> I made some progress with walking back the Rust version, getting to
> 2016-04-01 nightly (pre-1.8.0).  A rough cut of what I did is here:
> https://github.com/devrandom/powersoftau/compare/experiment-devrandom-vendor...devrandom:experiment-devrandom-old-compile
> This doesn't quite get us to when zcash was announced in January of 2016.
> To make further progress, I will look into backporting the question-mark
> operator from
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/commit/210dd611aa1bd80ed2f4e663b3c4b87b3cea069a
> an earlier nightly.

Not sure how familiar you are with Rust, but FWIW it might be easier to just
mechanically replace the question mark operator with the try! macro. For
example, this line:

    let alpha_g1_s = read_uncompressed(reader)?;

simply becomes:

    let alpha_g1_s = try!(read_uncompressed(reader));

This has the advantage of having compatibility with potentially quite old
versions of Rust.