Hi Peter,

Discrete Log Problem (DLP) is considered to be at least as hard as
factoring, the basis of RSA public key encryption.  So yes, there is always
a risk of breakthroughs in mathematical algorithms or more recently quantum
computing but it's not particularly likely.

To be clear: the problems are surely among the most studied in history (RSA
Factoring Challenge, etc) already for decades so the likelihood they fall
in the next 5 years isn't quite "reasonable" imo.  And if it happens it
won't be just ZCash that falls. Most everything these days (ssh, other
cryptos) that is public-key like (ecdsa included) has DLP and factoring
vulnerabilities of the same sort.

But prudent to keep in mind so my Thanks to Daira and Drake for this tasty
mathematical treat.

Cheers,

Rudi