On 2014-11-06 23:41 Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> On 2014-11-02 16:22:35, Alexander Baier wrote:
>> Hello pwmt-devs!
>>
>> Is there any way to tell a running zathura instance to change the page
>> it is currently displaying? If I simply issue the following command
>> line, a second instance of zathura is started. I, however, want the
>> already running instance (displaying /tmp/test.pdf) to display page 5.
>>
>>   zathura --page=5 /tmp/test.pdf
>>
>> I want this to work on every PDF, which implies (IIUC) that using the
>> synctex support is not an option here.
>>
>> If the description above was not clear, just try the the above with
>> evince or okular to see what I am talking about. Okular accepts an extra
>> option "--unique" to toggle this behaviour. Evince just always does
>> this - if you want it or not.
>>
>> Is this achievable with the current zathura version? And if not, would
>> you consider adding such a feature in a future version?
>
> The D-Bus interface offers a GotoPage method. You can do the same what
> we do for --syntex-forward: look for a prg.pwmt.zathura instance that
> has the correct file open (check the filename attribute) and run
> GotoPage on it. The code that does this for --synctex-forward is located
> in dbus-interface.c (iterate_instances_call_synctex_view).

Thank you for the pointer to the dbus interface.  My C experience,
however, amounts to almost nothing which is why I probably won't try to
implement this feature myself.

If you think this feature is use full, I can open a feature request on
the bug tracker.  What do you think?

Regards,
--
Alexander Baier