Ok.  So I've been experimenting with the Roux method and several
variations of Step 4 (last 6 edges), as well as FMC.  Anyway, all this
playing around has breathed new life into one of my old ideas.

I was looking for ways to break the burden of the ZBLL up into easier
chunks earlier in the solve.  My original idea was to use the last
pair to try and fix corner orientation.  Something like 54 cases,
probably long and definitely hard to recognize.  I also realized it
would be most useful to learn how to earlier achieve correct
permutation on the LL corners, as well as edges, leaving you with only
a no corners perm ZBLL alg.  However, I couldn't find good ways to do
that, and it was something like 100+ cases, also probably difficult to
recognize.  Last night, I had a new idea.

What if you finished the F2L minus one pair?  As long as the corner is
in the top layer, you have one of 3 possible cases.  Corner with white
facing up, left, or right.  If you place this corner, there are 6
possible cases for each of the 3 orientations above for fixing the LL
corner perm.  Most of these are simple and intuitive (just different
ways to place the corner: RUR', U'F'UF, etc.).  18 cases total, not
bad.  You could learn the 14 cases for when the corner is in the
correct spot, if you wanted, but you pretty much always avoid those
with some careful solving of the first three pairs.  COLL and CLL
would come in handy, too.

Next, if you solve the final middle layer edge, you can orient the LL
edges at the same time.  20 more cases for fixing the LL edge
orientation (edge in place but flipped: 4, edge at UR flipped: 8,
mirrors of the last 8: 8).  38 cases (most of them are just 3 cycles
of edges), and you're left with a no corners perm ZBLL.  Add in those
cases, and you've got 72 more (76 with the edge PLL's).  114 total
algs (just about half of which are reflections), but I'm not sure of
the length yet.  I'll keep working on that and post again.

1/27 cases would be a simple edge PLL to finish.  If you could learn a
few extra cases to place the final middle layer edge while also
playing with corner orientation, you could increase that number
substantially.  I know this may be a potentially longer method in
terms of number of moves, but having an edge PLL for possibly 1/13.5
solves or more has some definite potential. 1/162 solves, you get a LL

As an alternative, you could solve 3 cross pieces, 3 pairs, and use
ZBF2L or VHF2L on the final pair, orienting edges, then perform COLL,
and finish with any of the L5E algs Doug was nice enough to find for
me.  This gives you more freedom for building the F2L and makes Xcross
much easier.  If you like slice moves in the MU set, this might be a
good way to go for you.

Anywho, I'm tired of rambling, so someone else let me know what you think.