ok, i thought this was the driver, but apparently other linux users
are having this problem at this coffeehouse as well.

there are two ssids near there, but only one is practical.  for some
reason, now, linux users keep automatically getting put on the bad
one.  we get an IP and everything, but it requires user/pass through
web browser.

if we specify the good one, it sets the mb/s to 1, no matter what, and
dhclient wlan0 won't ever get the IP.

any ideas?  it works in windows.