Remco,
Thanks a lot for your answer.I appreciate that.
I want to verify something (which might seems silly to others):
> configure one interface using iwconfig.
  can you be more specific: should I use
        iwconfig eth0
        or:
        iwconfig wlan0

        should I run (as a minimum):

        iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-Hoc
        iwconfig wlan0 essid myHomeNet

        or
        iwconfig eth0 mode Ad-Hoc
        iwconfig eth0 essid myHomeNet

> bring up the interface.

you mean ifup eth0?
or ifup wlan0?? (I assume this is not the case).

Regards,
IB