-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [zd1211-devs] Any chance I can make the driver work with SPARC64
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 02:50:04 -0500
From: Patrick Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi Patrick,
>
>have you ever thought about using the rewritten driver?
>
>Please look at http://zd1211.ath.cx/wiki/DriverRewrite.

I've looked at that driver, and unfortunately it doesn't yet support the
features I need.  I want to use it as a sort-of access point, so I'd
need either ad-hoc or master mode support.  Also, kernel 2.4 seems to be
better than 2.6 on the Ultra 5 for reasons unrelated to the zd1211 card.

>It works on a number of architectures including PPC32 (big-endian) and
>x86-64 (64 bit). We would love to hear about experiences with the
>SPARC. There might be issues with alignment, SPARC doesn't support
>unaligned memory accesses. I have tried to avoid them, but you
>cannot know until you have tested it.

I'll download rc4 to help test the new driver on SPARC, but I'd also
like to get the old driver working if possible.  I thought the
unrewritten driver worked with PPC32 and x86-64 too, from the wiki.  Am
I mistaken?

Thanks for telling me about SPARC not supporting unaligned memory
accesses.  The smiley-face error does say something about an
"unsupported unaligned load/store trap for the kernel."

Are unaligned memory accesses known to be present in the old driver?
Would they be difficult to identify and replace, if they're there?  I
may be able to fix a simple issue with the old driver myself if you can
tell someone with my level of experience what to look for and how to
replace it.

>Have fun,
>
>Uli

  Thanks,

   Patrick

"The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven."
       --Satan,
         in _Paradise Lost_ by Milton