On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Daniel Drake wrote:

> Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > Actually I don't see why the network interface should be
> > brought up before it is configured. For the "old" zd1211-83
> > this wasn't necessary. But I tried this, too:
>
> I haven't really used the vendor driver so I can't comment there. But
> the standard for network drivers is to not really enable the radio/link
> power or whatever until the interface is brought up. This is a lifesaver
> for laptop users, otherwise the battery drains really quickly even when
> no network access is available.

Emn, isn't it a matter of suspending the interface? I think, most network
adapters, at least under earlier (2.4) kernel versions, had there
interfaces enabled by default. And disabling it would be done by

ifconfig ... down
echo [23] > /sys/devices/.../power/state

or by whatever means that's going to replace it?

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski