On 12/28/06, Remco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Using the zd1211rw git tree with the patch to make it build on 2.6.20.
> > I copied 267MB of data with various rate settings. All of the copies
> > took about the same about of time. What is this setting doing? The
> > nodes are both 802.11g, 5ft apart, 99% quality, 100% strength. The
> > correct nodes are paired, I checked the mac address.
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/foo$ sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 36M
> > real    3m29.654s
> > user    0m0.032s
> > sys     0m2.712s
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/foo$ sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 48M
> > real    3m29.183s
> > user    0m0.036s
> > sys     0m2.636s
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/foo$ sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 54M
> > real    3m28.768s
> > user    0m0.032s
> > sys     0m2.488s
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/foo$ sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 18M
> > real    3m31.614s
> > user    0m0.016s
> > sys     0m2.868s
>
> AFAICT, for wireless 802.11G, the real life possible maximum rate is likely to
> be roughly ~24Mb.
> Rates > real life maximum rate give similar performance since they all max out
> at that real life maximum rate (whatever that may be in your case). When
> lowering the stick's rate to rates < real life maximum rate, it's expected
> that the rate you experience is approximately the same as the rate you
> configured.
> (You should see more significant differences when lowering the rate even more)

I am using WEP encryption.  Same copy with same machines over an
ethernet connection takes less than a minute.

This article details how to compute the maximum possible rates.
http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/whitepapers/maximizing_80211g_investment.pdf

My AP was set for bg mode. I've switched it to g only mode now. The
new problem is that I can't get any of the copies to finish without
hitting a timeout. I've tried all the rates from 18M up.

bg mode has max throughput of 18Mb/sec so my 10.1Mb (plus overhead) is
not unreasonable. g only mode maxes at 27Mb so I should be able to see
15Mb/sec from the command line.

> Your real life max. rate seems to be ~ (267MB*8) / (3*60 + 30) = 10.1 Mb.
> If I'm not mistaken you'll only see significant differences when lowering the
> rate below 10Mb.
>

> BTW when I was using linux-2.6.18-rc4 / wpa_supplicant 0.4.8 a couple of
> months ago I got a performance of ~ 1.3MB/s => ~10.4 Mb. This was
> approximately half the performance of the vendor driver.

Jon Smirl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]