On 1/10/07, Andy Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi folks -
>
> I have written a patch (attached) which tries to provide a new usage
> mode for the zd1211rw.  It works for me, but only in Monitor mode: the
> intention is that it should work in Managed mode too, associated or
> unassociated, and I welcome any pointers getting that going.
>
> What the patch does is provide a second network interface object,
> penumbra0.  If you fire packets down this new network interface, they
> are sent on the zd1211rw as unencrypted packets outside of the 80211
> stack.  Likewise, any unencrypted packets to a specific MAC address are
> very early routed down the new network interface instead of the 80211
> stack and on to zd1211rw's eth one.  All other packets go on as normal
> through the 80211 stack.
>
> The intended effect is that you can simultaneously run your encrypted
> network connection, keeping your normal traffic and internet
> connectivity private as usual, and yet also participate in a general,
> unencrypted (on the transport layer, anyway) broadcast-based network
> with anyone in range.  I have evolved a protocol system for such a
> network and am in the process of implementing it using this patch.

I'm interested in doing pretty much the same thing. My application is
broadcast audio to multiple recipients. Some of the recipients need a
network hop to reach them.

This is basically the main features of 802.11s mesh networking which
is under development. The only working 802.11s system I am aware of is
the OLPC.

> I have done this on zd1211 because I have 3 Belkin sticks and the driver
> was FOSS, however the end goal is to try to allow this kind of mode to
> everyone on any adapter and Windows.
>
> DSD on IRC proposed that this functionality should go in the 80211
> stack, if people have comments about that or anything else please do
> give your opinion and advice.
>
> -Andy

Jon Smirl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]