Jon Smirl wrote:

> If you send UDP packets out on a multicast (or broadcast address)
> under 802.11 there is no MAC level ACK. UDP packets never have TCP
> level ACKs.
>
> So the question is, if an 802.11 device is associated to an AP, can
> you use the existing API to send out packets with a NULL essid. If you
> can do this you don't need to write any new code for the driver.
>
> This is sort of like being in ad hoc and infrastructure mode at the same
> time.

Hi Jon -

For reasons that can best be summed up under "privacy", part of what is
needed is to completely lose all station identifier information in the
public unencrypted network.

Another issue is that the unencrypted channel needs to operate even if
the main device is unassociated.  For example if you travel with your
laptop and there are no APs, there's no reason you shouldn't still be
able to use the unencrypted channel with any nearby devices, eg, in an
airport waiting lounge.

I found a way to send unencrypted packets through the 80211 stack,
associated or not, but some small driver patching is still required, I
will report more shortly.

-Andy