On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 08:21 -0500, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Hi Richard! Remember me?

Of course! You *still* owe me that beer :-)

> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > SoftMAC: Scanning finished: scanned 11 channels starting with channel 1
> > SoftMAC: Queueing Authentication Request to 00:11:95:19:a7:4c
> > SoftMAC: Cannot associate without being authenticated, requested
> > authentication
> > SoftMAC: Sent Authentication Request to 00:11:95:19:a7:4c.
> > SoftMAC: Already associating or associated to 00:11:95:19:a7:4c
> > SoftMAC: Open Authentication with 00:11:95:19:a7:4c failed, error code:
> > 13
> This error code comes from the access point - it rejected you. So at
> frame packet transmission/reception at this level seems to be working.
> Error code 13 means "Requested authentication algorithm not supported".
> This probably means that the access point requires you to use shared key
> authentication (as opposed to open auth).

Ahh yes. Not my access point (at my girlfriends) and it is set to

The error should probably not have said:

SoftMAC: Open Authentication with 00;00 failed, error code: 13

But instead:

SoftMAC: Open Authentication with 00;00 failed: Requested authentication
algorithm not supported (try open mode instead of shared key)

I would happily send a patch for that if you want.

> If you have administrative access to the AP you may want to disable
> shared key authentication and go back to open mode. Shared key is really
>   insecure, it basically gives your WEP key away to anyone nearby
> sniffing the network.

I do (default usernames and passwords ;-) and it is indeed working with
open mode.

I've no idea why ipw3945 works and zd1211 does not work with "shared
key" access points, although if it's a design decision it should
probably be propagated to the user via NetworkManager.

Thanks for your help with this.