I don't think we properly announced this on the list before, so here it is:

Thanks to Michael Wu, zd1211rw has been ported to the development d80211
Linux wireless stack. This sets a path for us to implement many missing
features (ad-hoc, master mode, etc).

Ulrich and myself are now developing primarily against this driver port,
but I will be backporting fixes and features to the mainline Linux
version where possible (d80211 is still a few months away from inclusion
in mainline).

I just added more explanation of this to the wiki -- please read that in
full before asking questions or jumping to conclusions.