On 3/5/07, Murat KILIVAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I want development a new board that has including
> 802.11 USB 2.0 adapter. This board will communicate
> and make data transfer with PC. I made some search on
> the internet and i found your project on Zd1211. I
> think It is useable for me. I will not use linux on my
> board but i think i can use your C source code. Now i
> need found a microcontroller for working USB module.
> Do you have any suggestion for working CPU using your
> source code(like renesas or atmel). I am looking for
> microcontroller that has provide USB 2.0 host module,
> ADC, and SPI port. Do you have any hint for me?

Get an NSLU2, it costs $75 and is ARM based. It has two USB 2.0 ports.
You may be able to hack on it and get access to other ports by
disconnecting the LEDs.

It is difficult to build your own system. For example the Freescale
MX31 has USB 2.0 support but it is in a 450pin BGA package that
requires commercial machines to solder it onto the PCB. AFAIK all
microcontrollers with USB 2.0 support are in BGA packages. If you
don't have free access to assembly machines it will cost you thousands
of dollars to build anything with BGA chips in it.

Here is a more flexible MX31 based board.
It costs about $400 from Future Electronics.

What is driving up your costs is USB 2.0 support. If instead you go
with USB 1.0 and drive the wireless net more slowly there are many
more less expensive options available.

The other solution is to use an 802.11 module with a SDIO interface.
Many microcontrollers support SDIO but you'll have to build your own
PCBs. SDIO will run the net at full speed.

Jon Smirl